RE: [SeattleRobotics] Digest Number 1574 ; CMUcam/ Java app

  • Keith Rowell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      I'm very intrested in using the bluetooth dongles too. I've pasted links for
      the ones you mentioned. What special set ups required to get them talking?
      How is atatching the EB500 to the CMUcam done?

      http://lindesan.dyndns.org/robert/playrobot/menu05c_rf.htm
      http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1263211/mode=inktomi
      _1/

      compact flash version
      http://www.bluetake.com/Products/poke2thbt100.htm

      others
      http://zuff.info/Bluetooth.html

      Keith Rowell

      Message: 3
      Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 10:08:21 -0700
      From: "Ron A. Nucci" <r.nucci@...>
      Subject: CMUcam/ Java app

      Hi Jonathan

      Try the VB app. Java can have problems especially on laptop's. It is either
      a serial port data buffer overrun or the laptop is to slow. Java requires a
      good deal of processing power to work correctly.

      Thank you
      Ron A. Nucci
      Seattle Robotics

      > Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:14:44 -0700
      > From: "Jonathan Peakall" <jpeakall@...>
      > Subject: CMUcam/ Java app.
      >
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I have been having a lot of fun playing with our new CMUcam. I am using a
      > Embedded Blue EB500 bluetooth module hooked to the 'cam, and a BT100 USB
      > dongle and the CMUcamGUI on the PC side. On my desktop, it all works
      great.
      > When I try to use my laptop, the picture is always scrunched (technical
      > term) to the left of the window. All the commands are sent just fine, and
      it
      > seems to work in all other regards.
      >
      > The laptop is a Toshiba 440CDT, running WIN98SE. I have tried all sorts of
      > stuff, serial com settings, FIFO buffers, display resolution, etc. Any
      ideas
      > what could be causing these problems? I have a bad feeling I'm just not
      > going to be able to get it to display on the laptop. This would be a real
      > bummer, as I would then have to buy a new one before next school year when
      > the CMUcam is going into the classroom.
    • Jonathan Peakall
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
        Keith,

        It is super easy. Just connect the output of the 'cam to the EB500 input and
        vice versa. Make sure to set the baud rate correctly, I use the "persist"
        modifier in a little program I wrote to change the baud rate. If you are
        using the EB500 in a Parallax App Mod header, then make sure to set the pins
        on the Stamp as inputs. Write a little program for the Stamp to connect to
        the dongle, and then you are in business. I can send you all the Stamp code
        I have so far if you like. It is just modified versions of the programs that
        come with the EB500. I also have code samples I wrote for doing the same
        things with a PIC using PICBASIC Pro on a 16F819/628/88.

        It's fun to take pics of my parking lot, 150 feet away and look at them on
        the PC. I have been playing with a couple of configurations, like using
        Hyperterminal and the Stamp to control the 'cam. It's pretty easy to work
        with. Over the summer I hope to develop (with the aid of a PC programming
        friend) an app to control our robot and the 'cam via bluetooth. Should be
        cool!

        HTH,

        Jonathan

        www.madlabs.info