Old electric projects book [Slightly OT]

  • Bobby Nansel and Shoshana Kaminsky
    Message 1 of 10 , May 30, 2004
      I'm trying to find the title of an old electric projects book I read
      when I was a young teenager in the 1970's. I believe it was published
      sometime in the 1930's, (give or take a decade). I have zero
      recollection of the title or author, but I do remember these things
      about it:

      1) It was a book of dozens of electrical shop projects for high school
      students.

      2) It included several telegraph key construction projects, from simple
      to advanced. The one I remember best was a so-called "streamlined"
      telegraph key -- it had a teardrop shaped wooden base.

      3) There was a project -- possibly called the "Electric Thriller" --
      involving an inductor or transformer circuit where the primary circuit
      consisted of a wire you dragged across a metal file, forming a crude
      interrupting switch. I remember the author challenged the reader to
      hold onto the secondary circuit leads while the wire was dragged across
      the file teeth to "see if you can 'take it'." (This alone means the
      book had to be pretty old when I read it in the '70s -- what writer
      after, say, 1960 would have risked the lawsuits?)

      4) There were several small DC motor projects, some of them
      self-starting & pretty sophisticated. In other words, these weren't
      the typical magnet-wire-and-nails Boy Scout motor projects you find on
      the web.

      5) There were at least two soldering device projects. One was called a
      "Soldering Copper," a big, pointed lump of copper mounted on a rod with
      a wooden handle; you had to heat it up in a flame to solder with it.
      The other was how to build an electric soldering iron (also a pretty
      big unit). I have a vague recollection of this latter involving
      asbestos insulated wire.

      6) There were also assorted electric battery, resistor, transformer,
      rheostat, buzzer, bell, relay, and telegraph sounder projects. I don't
      remember any radio projects, (but, then again, I don't remember the
      title or author, either).

      OK, that's about all I can remember of it. Below is a list of books
      I've checked that are *not* the book I'm looking for:

      General Shop Electricity, Dragoo & Porter

      Harper's Electricity Book for Boys, Adams

      The Boy Electrician, Morgan

      Simple Electrical Working Models, Percival Marshall & Co.

      A Boy and a Motor, Yates

      A Boy and a Battery, Yates

      Electrical Designs, Construction Articles from The American Electrician

      Thanks to anyone who can help!

      -RLN
    • Rich Chandler
      Message 2 of 10 , May 30, 2004
        Sounds like you need to get your hands on the Lindsay Books catalog. They
        specialize in reprinting old technology books (As well as some decent new ones).
        There are a lot of electrical and chemical books as well as books on Tesla,
        radio experimentation, and all kinds of other neat "Lost Technology" volumes.

        http://www.lindsaybks.com/
      • Robert Nansel
        Message 3 of 10 , May 30, 2004
          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Rich Chandler
          <rchandler@k...> wrote:
          > Sounds like you need to get your hands on the Lindsay Books
          catalog. ...

          I've had their catalog for years. Most of the books I listed as
          not the right book came from Lindsays. It's always good to plug
          Lindsay Publishing, though.

          -RLN
        • Jonathan Peakall
          Message 4 of 10 , May 30, 2004
            RLN,

            I think I may have the book you speak of. It is called "Electrical Things
            Boys Like To Make", by Sherman Cook, published by The Bruce Publishing
            Company in 1954.

            It has the shocker you speak of. It isn't called an "Electric Thriller", but
            it does say to try it with two dry cells and "see if you can take it". It
            also has the plans for the electric soldering iron which as you remember
            uses asbestos covered wire. It has the telegraph stuff and advanced motors,
            so I'm pretty sure it is the book you are looking for.

            Great book, it also has all sorts of information on bending sheet metal etc,
            as well as a ton of cool projects. If there is a project or two you would
            like photocopied, I'd be happy to do so.

            While we are OT, does anyone remember a '60s era book titled something like
            "101 Electronics Projects"? It was (as I recall) a great source of basic
            circuits and how to use most common devices.

            A remark in passing: You ever notice that the older books assume A) that you
            are motivated and patient, and B) that you aren't a moron. Most new books
            assume the reverse.

            HTH,

            Jonathan

            www.madlabs.info

            > I'm trying to find the title of an old electric projects book I read
            > when I was a young teenager in the 1970's. I believe it was published
            > sometime in the 1930's, (give or take a decade). I have zero
            > recollection of the title or author, but I do remember these things
            > about it:
            >
            > 1) It was a book of dozens of electrical shop projects for high school
            > students.
            >
            > 2) It included several telegraph key construction projects, from simple
            > to advanced. The one I remember best was a so-called "streamlined"
            > telegraph key -- it had a teardrop shaped wooden base.
            >
            > 3) There was a project -- possibly called the "Electric Thriller" --
            > involving an inductor or transformer circuit where the primary circuit
            > consisted of a wire you dragged across a metal file, forming a crude
            > interrupting switch. I remember the author challenged the reader to
            > hold onto the secondary circuit leads while the wire was dragged across
            > the file teeth to "see if you can 'take it'." (This alone means the
            > book had to be pretty old when I read it in the '70s -- what writer
            > after, say, 1960 would have risked the lawsuits?)
            >
            > 4) There were several small DC motor projects, some of them
            > self-starting & pretty sophisticated. In other words, these weren't
            > the typical magnet-wire-and-nails Boy Scout motor projects you find on
            > the web.
            >
            > 5) There were at least two soldering device projects. One was called a
            > "Soldering Copper," a big, pointed lump of copper mounted on a rod with
            > a wooden handle; you had to heat it up in a flame to solder with it.
            > The other was how to build an electric soldering iron (also a pretty
            > big unit). I have a vague recollection of this latter involving
            > asbestos insulated wire.
            >
            > 6) There were also assorted electric battery, resistor, transformer,
            > rheostat, buzzer, bell, relay, and telegraph sounder projects. I don't
            > remember any radio projects, (but, then again, I don't remember the
            > title or author, either).
            >

            > OK, that's about all I can remember of it. Below is a list of books
            > I've checked that are *not* the book I'm looking for:
            >
            > General Shop Electricity, Dragoo & Porter
            >
            > Harper's Electricity Book for Boys, Adams
            >
            > The Boy Electrician, Morgan
            >
            > Simple Electrical Working Models, Percival Marshall & Co.
            >
            > A Boy and a Motor, Yates
            >
            > A Boy and a Battery, Yates
            >
            > Electrical Designs, Construction Articles from The American Electrician
            >

            > Thanks to anyone who can help!
            >
            > -RLN

          • Kevin Rock
            Message 5 of 10 , May 30, 2004
              Howdy,
              I have in my hand the book by Tom Kneitel called "103 simple transistor
              projects" (sic) Published by Rider in 1964. Is this the book of which
              you speak?
              Kevin. KD5ONS

            • Jonathan Peakall
              Message 6 of 10 , May 30, 2004
                Kevin,

                Don't think so. The book I am recollecting didn't have "transistor" in it,
                I'm pretty sure. What about the book you have? Is it a good one that I
                should keep an eye out for?

                Jonathan

                www.madlabs.info

                > I have in my hand the book by Tom Kneitel called "103 simple
                transistor
                > projects" (sic) Published by Rider in 1964. Is this the book of which
                > you speak?
                > Kevin. KD5ONS
                >

                > On Sun, 30 May 2004 13:29:15 -0700, Jonathan Peakall
                > <jpeakall@...> wrote:
                >
                > > RLN,
                > >
                > > I think I may have the book you speak of. It is called "Electrical
                Things
                > > Boys Like To Make", by Sherman Cook, published by The Bruce Publishing
                > > Company in 1954.
                > >
                > > It has the shocker you speak of. It isn't called an "Electric Thriller",
                > > but
                > > it does say to try it with two dry cells and "see if you can take it".
                It
                > > also has the plans for the electric soldering iron which as you remember
                > > uses asbestos covered wire. It has the telegraph stuff and advanced
                > > motors,
                > > so I'm pretty sure it is the book you are looking for.
                > >
                > > Great book, it also has all sorts of information on bending sheet metal
                > > etc,
                > > as well as a ton of cool projects. If there is a project or two you
                would
                > > like photocopied, I'd be happy to do so.
                > >
                > > While we are OT, does anyone remember a '60s era book titled something
                > > like
                > > "101 Electronics Projects"? It was (as I recall) a great source of basic
                > > circuits and how to use most common devices.
                > >
                > > A remark in passing: You ever notice that the older books assume A) that
                > > you
                > > are motivated and patient, and B) that you aren't a moron. Most new
                books
                > > assume the reverse.
                > >
                > > HTH,
                > >
                > > Jonathan
                > >
                > > www.madlabs.info

              • Kevin Rock
                Message 7 of 10 , May 30, 2004
                  It has a lot of interesting circuits but I am not sure I would go out of
                  my way to find it. I just have had it since it was new back in 1964 when
                  I was learning electronics.
                  Kevin.

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 30, 2004
                    --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Peakall"
                    <jpeakall@m...> wrote:
                    > RLN,
                    >
                    > I think I may have the book you speak of. It is called "Electrical
                    Things
                    > Boys Like To Make", by Sherman Cook, published by The Bruce
                    Publishing
                    > Company in 1954. ...

                    That sounds like the book. Thanks! I've already ordered a copy
                    through Bookfinder.com.

                    -RLN
                  • Charlie Heath
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 31, 2004
                      Another interesting book is "How Two Boys Made Their Own Electrical
                      Apparatus" by Thomas M. St. John, 140 pages published in 1898. Definitely
                      not electronics, not even tubes existed back then. But it's a fun read,
                      covering cells and batteries, switches, meters, motors, induction coils,
                      telegraph, tools, etc. all hand made from odds and ends.

                      Charlie

                      > > I think I may have the book you speak of. It is called "Electrical
                      > Things
                      > > Boys Like To Make", by Sherman Cook, published by The Bruce
                      > Publishing
                      > > Company in 1954. ...
                      >

                      > That sounds like the book. Thanks! I've already ordered a copy
                      > through Bookfinder.com.
                      >
                      > -RLN

                    • Charlie Heath
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 31, 2004
                        Also forgot to mention "Hawkins Electrical Guide" published by Audel in 1917
                        (I believe there are also newer editions). It's 10 volumes plus a
                        dictionary and covers all sorts of electrical equipment of that time. It's
                        not project oriented and is more of a training guide but it covers a huge
                        assortment of electrical systems including telephone, telegraph, lighting,
                        wireless, motors, power generation, elevators, and on and on. The drawings
                        are excellent and the photos are pretty good as well. I inherited 10 of the
                        books from my grandfather many years ago, but was missing volume 9. Then
                        three weeks ago I was in a second hand book barn and on the shelf was the
                        missing volume (and no others of the set) and in great shape too! I
                        couldn't believe it. Got it for $3.

                        Charlie