Looking for soldering tools in North Seattle

  • cbc2287
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30 9:43 PM
      This topic has probably been covered before, but I missed it.

      I'm looking for a place to buy soldering tools in North Seattle. I
      don't really need anything fancy, but I am looking for a pair of flush
      side cutters and possibly an anti-static mat. I've tried Radio Shack,
      but they didn't have anything suitable. Neither did the local
      hardware store. Everywhere has soldering irons, but I haven't found
      the other tools I need.

      I know Fry's has exactly what I want, but its quite a ways away, and
      I'd like to find something closer. I haven't tried Home Depot, but I
      doubt they'll have what I need.

      Any suggestions? I live near Northgate.

      Thanks,

      Charles Cook
    • Larry Barello
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2004
        There is Vetco in Bellevue (they recently moved again?), Westlake electronic
        supply in, well, Westlake. There is Radar Electric in Bothell Canyon Park
        which has a walk up counter. I am sure there are some others. I dunno if
        there is one near you, but Graybar Electric (a big distributor for all sorts
        of stuff: house wiring through networking) - in fact any wire distributor
        probably has the tools you are looking for.

        www.jameco.com and www.mpja.com has tools. If you order on-line and specify
        USPS priority mail you will get your stuff in two days.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2004
          Charles,

          You could go to http://outpost.com/ This is Fry's online store and you
          could order what you want there.

          John Edwards
          botbuilder@...
          http://webpages.charter.net/grizzlyrobotics/

        • tbrenke@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2004
            fry electronics.
            they have all of this and more

            This topic has probably been covered before, but I missed it.

            I'm looking for a place to buy soldering tools in North Seattle. I
            don't really need anything fancy, but I am looking for a pair of flush
            side cutters and possibly an anti-static mat. I've tried Radio Shack,
            but they didn't have anything suitable. Neither did the local
            hardware store. Everywhere has soldering irons, but I haven't found
            the other tools I need.

            I know Fry's has exactly what I want, but its quite a ways away, and
            I'd like to find something closer. I haven't tried Home Depot, but I
            doubt they'll have what I need.

            Any suggestions? I live near Northgate.

            Thanks,

            Charles Cook

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • cbc2287
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2004
              Thanks Larry (and others),

              The ordering online idea had occured to me, but I'm looking for
              immediate gratification. Well, actually, I'm hoping to do some
              assembly on Sunday, and wouldn't get mail order in time for that.

              -Charles

              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Barello" <yahoo@b...>
              wrote:
              > There is Vetco in Bellevue (they recently moved again?), Westlake
              electronic
              > supply in, well, Westlake. There is Radar Electric in Bothell
              Canyon Park
              > which has a walk up counter. I am sure there are some others. I
              dunno if
              > there is one near you, but Graybar Electric (a big distributor for
              all sorts
              > of stuff: house wiring through networking) - in fact any wire
              distributor
              > probably has the tools you are looking for.
              >
              > www.jameco.com and www.mpja.com has tools. If you order on-line and
              specify
              > USPS priority mail you will get your stuff in two days.

            • Larry Barello
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1, 2004
                Vetco and Fry's are likely the only place open on Saturday.

                The ordering online idea had occured to me, but I'm looking for
                immediate gratification. Well, actually, I'm hoping to do some
                assembly on Sunday, and wouldn't get mail order in time for that.
              • Jack Buffington
                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2004
                  Buy a normal pair of side cutters and apply a liberal helping of a grinder.
                  Just make sure to keep the tool cool enough that it doesn't discolor by
                  dunking it in water from time to time.

                  -Jack

                  > This topic has probably been covered before, but I missed it.
                  >
                  > I'm looking for a place to buy soldering tools in North Seattle. I
                  > don't really need anything fancy, but I am looking for a pair of flush
                  > side cutters and possibly an anti-static mat. I've tried Radio Shack,
                  > but they didn't have anything suitable. Neither did the local
                  > hardware store. Everywhere has soldering irons, but I haven't found
                  > the other tools I need.
                  >
                  > I know Fry's has exactly what I want, but its quite a ways away, and
                  > I'd like to find something closer. I haven't tried Home Depot, but I
                  > doubt they'll have what I need.
                  >
                  > Any suggestions? I live near Northgate.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Charles Cook

                • Jim McBride
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 3, 2004
                    I have a couple of flush cuts from Snap-on and others. But the ones I tend
                    to use the most are ones I have made myself. Like stated below, the key is
                    to make sure you do not overheat the tool and re-temper the metal. It may
                    not be necessary to use water if you just take your time. Use light
                    pressure with whatever tool you decide to grind with. A vice and a metal
                    file works just as well and you don't have to worry about overheating. Make
                    sure you do not remove too much material. Stop just shy of the edge point.
                    If you don't you will end up with cutters whose blades do not sit against
                    each other flush the length of the cutter.
                    Good luck,
                    JIMc

                    At 09:21 AM 5/3/2004 -0700, you wrote:
                    >Buy a normal pair of side cutters and apply a liberal helping of a grinder.
                    >Just make sure to keep the tool cool enough that it doesn't discolor by
                    >dunking it in water from time to time.
                    >
                    >-Jack

                  • Kevin Ross
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 3, 2004
                      I think the best deal on side cutters for flush cutting leads is found at
                      Radio Shack. I have about 5 different models of side cutter, and the $4.00
                      'nippy' cutter from Radio Shack appears to be the best performing.

                      Check out my article on tools at
                      http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200002/basics.html

                      Kevin

                    • Alan King
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 3, 2004
                        Kevin Ross wrote:
                        > I think the best deal on side cutters for flush cutting leads is found at
                        > Radio Shack. I have about 5 different models of side cutter, and the $4.00
                        > 'nippy' cutter from Radio Shack appears to be the best performing.

                        But everyone file away in the back of your head to keep your eyes peeled for
                        anything newer from Lindstrom:

                        http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scripts/brands/Lindstrom

                        An older version of 8140 is what I have. These stand up to thousands of cuts
                        per day in manufacturing environments and still last for years. Mine are from
                        1985 time range and worn and abused, yet still work better than any other out of
                        the package new pair of cutters that I've encountered since I've had them. I've
                        been given more than a few cutters from several places I've worked at, and none
                        cut like these.

                        $50 is a lot for cutters unless you use them all day long. But keep your
                        eyes peeled at hamfests and auctions etc and they pop up on the odd occasion.
                        $10 or even $20 for a pair used wouldn't be a bad buy.

                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34085&item=4108491770&rd=1

                        If I lost my pair, I wouldn't hesitate on these or similar for a replacement,
                        that's a deal for a pair. Stolen would be more likely than lost though, about
                        anyone who's ever used mine that didn't already have a pair has found them hard
                        to let go of. My springs broke some time ago, may get a pair just to get back
                        to near new.

                        When new the cut leads seperate and shoot away a little, stiff leads will
                        even fly across the room. After a couple years the edge wears just a bit and
                        leads stick just slightly, not popping away as when new. Not a problem for
                        light or medium use, but time to replace for manufacturing. Likely the point
                        these are at, and still likely the best cutters you will ever have had in your
                        hands. If you're going to use them much do yourself a favor and get a pair of
                        these instead of the next 3 or 4 pair of regular cutters you'd go through over
                        their lifespan.

                        Alan