PIC18F4431 motor controller anybody?

  • Ted Inoue
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2004
      Hey folks,

      I was just seeing if there was anything new and interesting on the PIC
      website and came across a product announcement and specs on the
      PIC18F4431. This looks like something of a dream controller for small
      robotics applications.

      My question is, it available, and if so, has anybody here tried it
      out?

      The link:
      http://www.microchip
      com/1010/pline/picmicro/category/embctrl/14kbytes/devices/18f4431

      The datasheet really makes it look interesting. PWM outputs,
      Quadrature encoder inputs, multiple 10-bit a/d inputs, Good amounts of
      flash (16k bytes), decent RAM (768 bytes), I2C, SPI, UART, hardware
      multiply. 28 or 40-pin SDIP or SOIC.

      I've googled it but got very few hits.

      Findchips.com does list a few chips in stock at DigiKey, so they must
      be shipping in some quantity. I'm very curious to see what the
      robotics community thinks of this one.

      Cheers,
      Ted
    • Jim McBride
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
        I have thought about upgrading to this device. I may get a sample and see
        how it works. I like the quad encoder part myself.
        JIMc

        At 11:30 PM 4/29/2004 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hey folks,
        >
        >I was just seeing if there was anything new and interesting on the PIC
        >website and came across a product announcement and specs on the
        >PIC18F4431. This looks like something of a dream controller for small
        >robotics applications.
        >
        >My question is, it available, and if so, has anybody here tried it
        >out?
        >
        >The link:
        >http://www.microchip
        >com/1010/pline/picmicro/category/embctrl/14kbytes/devices/18f4431
        >
        >The datasheet really makes it look interesting. PWM outputs,
        >Quadrature encoder inputs, multiple 10-bit a/d inputs, Good amounts of
        >flash (16k bytes), decent RAM (768 bytes), I2C, SPI, UART, hardware
        >multiply. 28 or 40-pin SDIP or SOIC.
        >
        >I've googled it but got very few hits.
        >
        >Findchips.com does list a few chips in stock at DigiKey, so they must
        >be shipping in some quantity. I'm very curious to see what the
        >robotics community thinks of this one.
        >
        >Cheers,
        >Ted

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Mcbride
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
          Too bad it only has one Quad Encoder input set. Sure has a lot of PWM
          outputs though.
          I have successfully ordered samples so that is one option to get you hands
          on some.
          JIMc

          At 11:39 AM 4/30/2004 -0700, you wrote:
          >I have thought about upgrading to this device. I may get a sample and see
          >how it works. I like the quad encoder part myself.
          >JIMc
          >
          >At 11:30 PM 4/29/2004 +0000, you wrote:
          > >Hey folks,
          > >
          > >I was just seeing if there was anything new and interesting on the PIC
          > >website and came across a product announcement and specs on the
          > >PIC18F4431. This looks like something of a dream controller for small
          > >robotics applications.
          > >
          > >My question is, it available, and if so, has anybody here tried it
          > >out?
          > >
          > >The link:
          > >http://www.microchip
          > >com/1010/pline/picmicro/category/embctrl/14kbytes/devices/18f4431
          > >
          > >The datasheet really makes it look interesting. PWM outputs,
          > >Quadrature encoder inputs, multiple 10-bit a/d inputs, Good amounts of
          > >flash (16k bytes), decent RAM (768 bytes), I2C, SPI, UART, hardware
          > >multiply. 28 or 40-pin SDIP or SOIC.
          > >
          > >I've googled it but got very few hits.
          > >
          > >Findchips.com does list a few chips in stock at DigiKey, so they must
          > >be shipping in some quantity. I'm very curious to see what the
          > >robotics community thinks of this one.
          > >
          > >Cheers,
          > >Ted
          > >

          > >Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org
          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jim Culbertson
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
            You might want to look at the Rabbit 3000 series. They have two quad
            decoders and four PWMs. Check out
            http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/rab3000/. Don't be put off by
            the $300 plus development kits. If you like the chip check out
            http://www.imaginetools.com/products/MicroStarterKit.shtml for a nice $99
            option.

            Jim

            Too bad it only has one Quad Encoder input set. Sure has a lot of PWM
            outputs though.
            I have successfully ordered samples so that is one option to get you hands
            on some.
            JIMc

            At 11:39 AM 4/30/2004 -0700, you wrote:
            >I have thought about upgrading to this device. I may get a sample and
            >see how it works. I like the quad encoder part myself. JIMc
            >
            >At 11:30 PM 4/29/2004 +0000, you wrote:
            > >Hey folks,
            > >
            > >I was just seeing if there was anything new and interesting on the
            > >PIC website and came across a product announcement and specs on the
            > >PIC18F4431. This looks like something of a dream controller for small
            > >robotics applications.
            > >
            > >My question is, it available, and if so, has anybody here tried it
            > >out?
            > >
            > >The link:
            > >http://www.microchip
            > >com/1010/pline/picmicro/category/embctrl/14kbytes/devices/18f4431
            > >
            > >The datasheet really makes it look interesting. PWM outputs,
            > >Quadrature encoder inputs, multiple 10-bit a/d inputs, Good amounts
            > >of flash (16k bytes), decent RAM (768 bytes), I2C, SPI, UART,
            > >hardware multiply. 28 or 40-pin SDIP or SOIC.
            > >
            > >I've googled it but got very few hits.
            > >
            > >Findchips.com does list a few chips in stock at DigiKey, so they must
            > >be shipping in some quantity. I'm very curious to see what the
            > >robotics community thinks of this one.
            > >
            > >Cheers,
            > >Ted
            > >

            > >Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org Yahoo! Groups
            > >Links

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Lee Johnson
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
              On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 16:42, James Mcbride wrote:

              > Too bad it only has one Quad Encoder input set. Sure has a lot of PWM
              > outputs though.
              > I have successfully ordered samples so that is one option to get you hands
              > on some.
              > JIMc

              How do you do that? I'm kinda new to this and hadn't even heard that you could
              do that.

              Lee S. Johnson
              ljohnson@...
              Atlantic Communications, Inc.
              (757)713-2102

            • Jim McBride
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2004
                Go to the Microchip web site.
                From there, you can take many routes to getting a sample of your choice(
                if available). You will have to register, but that is free.
                If you know what you are after. Look for the buy tab. Under the buy tab you
                will find a samples link. When in the samples area you will be given two
                options. Product line and family. Select micro controllers product line
                and 18f4431 family. That should take you to this screen:

                http://sample.microchip.com/Default.aspx?testCookies=true

                Click on the size chip you want. Be careful to not get one with the L in
                the model number unless you are after 3 volt devices. You probably want
                this one:
                PIC18F4431-I/P 40 PDIP 600mil -40C to +85C TUBE
                When you select this one under the samples column it will add it to your
                "cart". When you have all you want (up to a total of 5 I think, different
                devices) go to checkout and follow the instructions.

                Most major distributors have some sort of a samples program. Search em out.
                You may run into trouble with your email from some of the vendors. They may
                want a corporate or educational sounding email versus aol or hotmail.
                Microchip should be ok though.

                I remember the first time I found out about samples in college. The info
                came from some students who had worked in industry. I was pretty upset that
                the professors did not share with us the availability of samples.

                Good luck!!

                JIMc