Re: Subsumption Architecture Article

  • David P. Anderson
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 4, 2004
      Hi

      Joseph Jones' (of Jones and Flynn, "Mobile Robots: Inspiration to
      Implementation") new book is

      "Robot Programming: A Practical Guide to Behavior Based Robotics"
      Joseph L. Jones
      McGraw-Hill ISBN 0-07-142778-3

      He has a good in-depth discussion of the behavior-based paradigm, as well
      as other control methods.

      I highly recommend it. I think that this book perhaps fills the
      gap that Chris refers to.

      dpa
    • dan michaels
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 23, 2004
        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "stephane641"
        <stephane641@r...> wrote:
        > Actually, it's Stephane (a french version of Stephen) and not
        > Stephanie but that's ok I'm used to it by now.
        >
        > Actually, although I'd like to help it's much too time consuming to
        > explain all these theories, especially when I'm still learning
        myself.
        > The trick is to read lots. That's all I did as I have no AI
        background
        > or anything. I'm just a hobbyist.
        >
        > Read all the subsumption links posted earlier and then I suggest the
        > two books mentionned earlier. (Jo Jones's "Behaviour Based
        > Programming" book is a great intro and will give you great pointers
        > for further research.)
        >
        > Remember, doing the research is half the fun!

        Does Etienne also qualify was another name for Stephen? Has a nice
        sound to it too :).

        Regards books for starting out, I always liked Joe Jones' other book,
        as it covers in detail all aspects of hardware and systems design,
        and also has a nice coverage of programming and also subsumption
        techniques in the last 4-5 chapters. Covers it all from the ground up.

        Mobile Robots, Inspirations to Implementations.

        I'm currently reading Jones' "new" book - mentioned above. It covers
        strategies for controlling bots in more detail than the old book, but
        is largely past the basics. Most people starting out won't care much
        about the 4-5 different ways to set module priorities, etc. The new
        book is nice in that Joe says things like, "over the past 15 years,
        I've tried this and that and that and that, and found that this one
        works best ..." :).

        - dan michaels
        www.oricomtech.com