Re: Motor selection for camera motors

  • michael_mutmansky
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
      (I posted this yesterday, and it never showed up, so I'm posting it
      again...)

      Jack,

      You can't mechanically link both drives unless you are willing to
      use only one focal length lens on the camera, and have it set to
      work at one specific focus distance. This is one of the primary
      reasons that a commercially available product like the Roundshot
      model I included in my post is not suitable for my purposes.

      This linkage is also a limitation for the focus distance of the
      setup, as the focal length and also the magnification of the subject
      affects the film advance rate (many lenses actually shift focal
      length as the focus gets closer). Using a single motor option is at
      best an approximation, with lots of compromises.

      The old Cirkut cameras actually came with three different spur gears
      for each focal length lens, one for far, middle, and near
      distances. This solution is not suitable for my approach, and I
      think it is a source of some of the drivetrain problems that these
      cameras have. There is at least one modern camera (Hulcherama) that
      uses a similar approach, and it apparently suffers from a similar
      drivetrain problem.

      As I see it, with a PID feedback approach it shouldn't be too
      difficult to keep two motors running at essentially a steady-state
      condition for a 360 degree swing. I do intend to program in a bit
      of accel/decel on each end.

      The beauty of a two motor system is that the speed control is simply
      formulated as a ratio of the encoder feedback rates. Once the
      formulas are calculated and tested for a particular condition (focal
      length, focus distance, etc), they will not vary, and it is (I
      think) relatively easy to use the ratio as the set points for the
      speed control of both motors. And, of course, if I have high enough
      resolution in the motor controller (I think 10 bit resolution in the
      PWM will be sufficient), I'll be able to make the fine tuning speed
      adjustments that are necessary to have a sharp and accurate image on
      film.

      Trbrenke,

      You mention the AVR controller. I've been looking around for
      information on that, but it may be a bit bigger of a task than I am
      up to. Is there an AVR-based product like the OOPIC or Basic Stamp
      out there that I could use as the starting point? I'm not
      experienced with the electronics aspects of this project, but
      certainly have the capacity to learn. It looked like the OOPIC
      would be the easiest way to get the electronic framework going.

      My thought was to use OOPIC to send a signal to a motor controller,
      and then to take in the feedback from the motors, and adjust the
      signal to the motors until the time is up to finish the rotation.
      So it won't be doing the PWM generation (it doesn't have the
      resolution), but only the timing and the feedback adjustments.

      ---Michael
    • sdw
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
        I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. Is it possible to make a servo
        from a gearhead motor? If so how's it done, if not why?

        I'm in need of a high torque servo unfortunately even the sail winch variety don't
        have the oz/in of torque I require.

        Thanks

        This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive
        any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail
        or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
        If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or
        otherwise) immediately.

        Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas
        aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de
        ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le
        (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier
        électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier
        électronique ou par un autre moyen.

        =
      • clayforge
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
          Lynxmotion had a short "how-to" on this. Here is the link:

          http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/ht01.htm

          Note that I have not used the info presented. Yet.

          Good luck!

          Scott

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "sdw" <sdw@m...> wrote:
          > I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. Is it
          possible to make a servo
          > from a gearhead motor? If so how's it done, if not why?
          >
          > I'm in need of a high torque servo unfortunately even the sail
          winch variety don't
          > have the oz/in of torque I require.
          >
          > Thanks

          > This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender
          does not waive
          > any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or
          copying of this e-mail
          > or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient
          is unauthorized.
          > If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return
          e-mail or
          > otherwise) immediately.
          >
          > Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur
          ne renonce pas
          > aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
          utilisation ou copie de
          > ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne
          autre que le
          > (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce
          courrier
          > électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par
          retour de courrier
          > électronique ou par un autre moyen.

          > =
        • Phil
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
            sure its possible. basically, it requires some sort of feedback
            mechanism and controller. Here's an example of one you could build
            though I think the design is overly complex and uses less common
            components.

            http://www.circuitcellar.com/library/print/0403/Mays153-s/index.htm

            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "sdw" <sdw@m...> wrote:
            > I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. Is it
            possible to make a servo
            > from a gearhead motor? If so how's it done, if not why?
            >
            > I'm in need of a high torque servo unfortunately even the sail
            winch variety don't
            > have the oz/in of torque I require.
            >
            > Thanks

            > This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender
            does not waive
            > any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or
            copying of this e-mail
            > or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient
            is unauthorized.
            > If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-
            mail or
            > otherwise) immediately.
            >
            > Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur
            ne renonce pas
            > aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
            utilisation ou copie de
            > ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne
            autre que le
            > (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce
            courrier
            > électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par
            retour de courrier
            > électronique ou par un autre moyen.

            > =
          • John Myszkowski...
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
              The simplest way is to aquire the gearmotor of your choice first.

              1)find it's current requirements; the running current, load current,
              stall current, etc.

              2)find an H-bridge that will handle the highest of those currents
              plus a 20% margin (or more).

              3)Get a circuit that converts a standard RC-servo PWM signal to a
              regular PWM (0% to 100%) signal. Those type of electronics are what
              is inside every RC-servo, so you can just take out the electronics
              from a good servo for that purpose.

              4)find the outputs of the conversion circuit and attach the outputs
              to the H-bridge inputs.

              This should give you exactly what you need.

              Another way is to e-mail Servocity sales to see if they can find the
              power servo, they do have a number of them.

              Good luck,
              John M...
              ==========

              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "sdw" <sdw@m...> wrote:
              > I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. Is it
              possible to make a servo
              > from a gearhead motor? If so how's it done, if not why?
              >
              > I'm in need of a high torque servo unfortunately even the sail
              winch variety don't
              > have the oz/in of torque I require.
              >
              > Thanks

              > This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender
              does not waive
              > any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or
              copying of this e-mail
              > or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient
              is unauthorized.
              > If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return
              e-mail or
              > otherwise) immediately.
              >
              > Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur
              ne renonce pas
              > aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
              utilisation ou copie de
              > ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne
              autre que le
              > (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce
              courrier
              > électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par
              retour de courrier
              > électronique ou par un autre moyen.

              > =
            • Rob Purdy
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
                How much torque do you require?

                I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. Is it possible to make
                a servo
                from a gearhead motor? If so how's it done, if not why?

                I'm in need of a high torque servo unfortunately even the sail winch variety
                don't
                have the oz/in of torque I require.

                Thanks

                waive
                any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this
                e-mail
                or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is
                unauthorized.
                If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or
                otherwise) immediately.

                Ce courrier �lectronique est confidentiel et prot�g�. L'exp�diteur ne
                renonce pas
                aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation
                ou copie de
                ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que
                le
                (les) destinataire(s) d�sign�(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier
                �lectronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser imm�diatement, par retour de
                courrier
                �lectronique ou par un autre moyen.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • sdw
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
                  That's great John Thanks.

                  I don't suppose you know where i can find a schematic for the electronics found in
                  your average Futaba servo or even better the schematic for a general servo circuit.
                  I would certainly prefer making a pcb myself and save having to buy several servos
                  just to gut it for those electronics.

                  sdw

                  To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
                  From: "John Myszkowski..." <john@...>
                  Date sent: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:52:41 -0000
                  Subject: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Servo from Gearhead?
                  Send reply to: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
                    http://www.vantec.com/products.htm

                    You want a big power servo? These guys have em. I hope 27 foot pounds of
                    torque is enough. They have one that is only 600 in oz also. If you still
                    prefer to roll your own that have just the servo amp as well.

                    Another option is the roboteq motor controller. If you watched monster
                    garage when they made the rc race car ( full scale) It was the roboteq that
                    controlled the wheel chair motor that did the steering.

                    Rob..

                  • sdw
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
                      I haven't got a final figure nailed down on that yet. I just know it'll be more then the
                      big hobby servos are capable of handling. I understand there is a servo adapter that
                      cracks out 1700+ oz/in of torque avaliable at servocity which could work but then i'm
                      left with too great speed reduction.

                      To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
                      From: "Rob Purdy" <kb7wnz@...>
                      Date sent: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:28:55 -0800
                      Subject: RE: [SeattleRobotics] Servo from Gearhead?

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
                        Well ...a 27 lb servo would certainly do it but at $500+ per unit it's out of my
                        league. Ouch...

                        Interesting find though Rob, thanks

                        To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
                        From: "Rob Purdy" <kb7wnz@...>
                        Date sent: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:47:28 -0800
                        Send reply to: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com

                        > http://www.vantec.com/products.htm
                        >
                        > You want a big power servo? These guys have em. I hope 27 foot pounds of
                        > torque is enough. They have one that is only 600 in oz also. If you still
                        > prefer to roll your own that have just the servo amp as well.
                        >
                        > Another option is the roboteq motor controller. If you watched monster
                        > garage when they made the rc race car ( full scale) It was the roboteq that
                        > controlled the wheel chair motor that did the steering.
                        >
                        > Rob..

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive
                        any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail
                        or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
                        If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or
                        otherwise) immediately.

                        Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas
                        aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de
                        ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le
                        (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier
                        électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier
                        électronique ou par un autre moyen.

                        =
                      • John Edwards
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
                          Check out this site http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/kits/k165b.html
                          They are in Australia but have exactly what you are looking for.

                          John Edwards
                          botbuilder@...
                          http://webpages.charter.net/grizzlyrobotics/

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
                            That certainly appears to fit the bill. I'll have to contact them to be sure as they don't
                            list many stats for current handling, etc.

                            Thanks again.

                            sdw

                            To: <SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com>
                            From: "John Edwards" <botbuilder@...>
                            Date sent: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:08:57 -0500
                            Subject: Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Servo from Gearhead?

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
                              Based on your suggestion of Oakly Electronics I did a quick google seach with the
                              follow criteria:
                              Mitsubishi M51660L servo driver IC
                              which brought me to

                              http://www.cpg1.freeserve.co.uk/servos/servos.htm

                              Which is just what i was hoping to find. Now I've just got to find who'll sell me the
                              M51660L...

                              Cheers,
                              Stephen

                              To: <SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com>
                              From: "John Edwards" <botbuilder@...>
                              Date sent: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:08:57 -0500
                              Send reply to: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com

                              > Check out this site http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/kits/k165b.html
                              > They are in Australia but have exactly what you are looking for.
                              >
                              > John Edwards
                              > botbuilder@...
                              > http://webpages.charter.net/grizzlyrobotics/
                              >

                              > That's great John Thanks.
                              >
                              > I don't suppose you know where i can find a schematic for the electronics
                              > found in
                              > your average Futaba servo or even better the schematic for a general servo
                              > circuit.
                              > I would certainly prefer making a pcb myself and save having to buy several
                              > servos
                              > just to gut it for those electronics.
                              >
                              > sdw

                              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive
                              any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail
                              or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
                              If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or
                              otherwise) immediately.

                              Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas
                              aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de
                              ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le
                              (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier
                              électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier
                              électronique ou par un autre moyen.

                            • Larry Barello
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
                                You can do this exact "boost" thing using a single chip H-Bridge, like the
                                L298. Any R/C servo guts should work. Just connect the leads that normally
                                go to the motor to the A/B inputs of the H-Bridge.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
                                  Go to Vantec.com and take a look at the R/C Bully Servo Amplifier. It
                                  should probably do the trick for you.

                                  -Jack

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 4, 2004
                                    it is possible.
                                    all you need is some feed back on the FINAL outputs position.
                                    there are controllers that do this for you with a simple encoder input.
                                    I do not have the link to them handy though.

                                    possibly someone else here knows the brand name or has a link to this?

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 5, 2004
                                      I'd first like to thank everyone who responded. The information provided was just
                                      what i was looking for.

                                      After some consideration I decide not to roll my own pcb's as i'd originally hoped
                                      to do as the M51660L servo chip is not an easy product to find in small quantities.
                                      In keeping with the KISS principle the simplest and least expensive route appears to
                                      be hacking a servo for it electronics then adding it to a suitable H-bridge. (Thanks
                                      John)

                                      In light of this If anybody here has any servo electronics they gutted from their
                                      servos they don't want or need any more let me know as I'm now in the market for
                                      three of these pcb's.

                                      sdw

                                      To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: "Phil" <phil1960us@...>
                                      Date sent: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:16:57 -0000

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 5, 2004
                                        Hi SDW,
                                        You should try the "BEAM" group. The people there seem to like to
                                        use the gear motor part of the servos. You will probably be able to
                                        get a pile of the servo electronics for "reclamation".

                                        Oh yeah, as Larry B. pointed out you can use an L298 (single chip H-
                                        bridge) or similar to do the power "boost".

                                        Godd luck,
                                        John M...