Sponsorship/proposal

  • samthemagical@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
      I have been looking for a coporate sponsor because I have very little
      budget (i.e. what I find in the cushions of the couch) for robotics. I have
      been asked by a couple of possible sponsors for a formal proposal.
      The problem is, I don't know what to ask for! How much is too much?
      Does anyone have a sponsorship, or had one in the past? (Currently I am hounding
      battery companies and electronics stores; is there a better place to look?)
      Does anyone have any suggestion on who to ask, what to ask for, and how to
      format the request?
      Thank you all for your help.

      Sam Bleckey
      Nova Aranea
      novaaranea.com

    • Phil
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
        Assuming you have some sort of non-profit, educational or what-ever
        organization, you should put together a written proposal which
        spells out your group's goals and be very clear on what you are
        asking for. You should also be clear how the sponsor can benefit -
        name on T Shirts, publicity, ... (hint "goodwill" ranks low on their
        radar screen). Businesses that supply products to the robotics
        comunity are clearly going to see the benefit of exposure.

        How much to ask for? as much as you need. they will be much more
        receptive if you describe in detail the costs. the tighter your
        financial ship is, the more favorably they will regard you. You
        might try to figure out how much they have given to other groups and
        tune your request based on that.

        If you are approaching foundations or other 501(c)(3) orgainizations,
        you need to write an actual grant proposal. This especially the case
        if you've incorporated as a non-profit organization (not as heavy
        weight as it sounds). This is longer lead time so get going early.
        Many people ignore this angle but it can result in some real $$$.

        First place to check is your employer, by the way. Also, PTAs and
        local school foundations often have money to provide as long has you
        can make a case for educational benefits.

        Phil