AVR Sumo recommendations

  • Michael Bronosky
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
      You folks have any recommendations you could pass on to a newbie on an AVR based Sumos? This is to be a present.

      Mike

    • Dave Hylands
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
        Hi Mike,

        Are you looking for an AVR sumo or do you have an AVR sumo?

        Do you have Larry Barello's board? http://www.barello.net/ARC/index.htm

        What language will be used? (i.e. Basic or C)

        --
        Dave Hylands
        Vancouver, BC, Canada

      • Larry Barello
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
          The MarkIII mini-sumo chassis + sensors, etc. and my AVR Robot Control board
          www.barello.net/ARC were designed to fit together to make a complete AVR
          based mini-sumo. Under the projects section you can find the original high
          school mini-sumo project instructions written by a senior for his final
          class project. The ARC kit is self contained. You don't need to purchase
          programmers or cables and the compilers are free. In addition, the board
          includes motor drivers so you don't have to use hacked servos.

          To complete the kit you need motors, wheels, floor sensors (QRB1134),
          ranging sensors (GP2D12) and batteries. The MarkIII store has the best
          prices around for all those parts. www.junun.org/MarkIII/Store.jsp An
          alternative to hacked servos is the Solarbotics "GM8 with wheel & traction
          band" motor wheel combo (www.solarbotics.com). That is a good match for my
          board and you can get 2 for $15.50 + s/h. They run reasonably fast with a 6
          cell battery pack (AAA NiMh recommended) That is cheaper than the ~$27 for
          servos and wheels from the MarkIII store and they need no modifications.

          I am not aware of any other options out there.

          Cheers!

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
            Mike,

            You might want to pick up "Programming and Customizing the AVR
            Microcontroller", by Dhananjay Gadre. It's published by McGraw-Hill. It
            has a good discussion of the AVR, and a number of interesting projects,
            including source code and schematics. Many of these could be done with
            Larry's board between competitions. Just be sure to reload the sumo
            program. ;-)

            Ron

            You folks have any recommendations you could pass on to a newbie on an AVR
            based Sumos? This is to be a present.

            Mike

          • John M...
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
              "Hobby Engineering" (www.hobbyengineering.com) has the same GM8's,
              but in the US...

              Yes, the ARC is a good solution for a mini sumo or ANY small robot.

              JOhn M...

              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Barello" <yahoo@b...>

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
                I just received a bucket (figuratively) of the GM8 + wheels. Although I
                don't have them on my website I can sell them individually or with ARC kits
                if you inquire by mail. Same price as elsewhere: $7.75/ea, + my standard $6
                s/h. You will get em in 2-3 days.

                www.barello.net/ARC for kit information

                Cheers!

                Yes, the ARC is a good solution for a mini sumo or ANY small robot.