Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Re: Cybiko revisited

  • Rich Chandler
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
      John McIvor wrote:
      > I tried once to make an expansion cable from an old dead PCMCIA
      > card to create a break-out for these pins, but it didn't work out, and
      > I haven't re-tried that project yet.
      >
      > My thought was
      >
      > -Make a breakout proto board and cable
      > -find a way to create a program to access external memory
      > -build an interface with maybe an 8255 PPI
      >
      > I have not made much progress on this project to date :)

      Last time I was in Fry's, I saw a PCMCIA prototyping board with a connector on
      one and and solder-pad covered perfboard about 8" long. Wasn't cheap though.
    • Ed Okerson
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
        On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Rich Chandler wrote:

        > John McIvor wrote:
        > > I tried once to make an expansion cable from an old dead PCMCIA
        > > card to create a break-out for these pins, but it didn't work out, and
        > > I haven't re-tried that project yet.
        > >
        > > My thought was
        > >
        > > -Make a breakout proto board and cable
        > > -find a way to create a program to access external memory
        > > -build an interface with maybe an 8255 PPI
        > >
        > > I have not made much progress on this project to date :)
        >
        > Last time I was in Fry's, I saw a PCMCIA prototyping board with a connector on
        > one and and solder-pad covered perfboard about 8" long. Wasn't cheap though.

        Those probably wouldn't work for the Cybiko anyway because they generally
        have buffers for all the PCMCIA signals. Since the Cybiko isn't really
        PCMCIA those buffers are probably not all on the right pins.

        Ed Okerson
      • Rich Chandler
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
          Ed Okerson wrote:

          > On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Rich Chandler wrote:
          > > Last time I was in Fry's, I saw a PCMCIA prototyping board with a connector on
          > > one and and solder-pad covered perfboard about 8" long. Wasn't cheap though.
          >
          > Those probably wouldn't work for the Cybiko anyway because they generally
          > have buffers for all the PCMCIA signals. Since the Cybiko isn't really
          > PCMCIA those buffers are probably not all on the right pins.

          This is just the connector with the pins broken out. You can do whatever you
          want with it.