Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: microcontroller: PIC 18 series?

  • Jim McBride
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 4, 2003
      I have long since stopped using both the old programmers. I now have an
      ICD2 with demo board. Costly, but I am happy with the speed (USB) and
      versatility parts I can program. The ICD is not as useful as I hoped. I
      still do most of my debugging with the MPLAB simulator. Santa laughed when
      I asked her for an emulator.
      Jim

      At 02:57 PM 11/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:
      >Jim,
      >
      > Not to get into a "my PIC programmer is better than yours!"
      >discussion, but the WARP13 (looks like PICStart Plus) is faster than
      >any of the other programmers I've used, and two or three times faster
      >than the PICstart Plus is!
      >
      >DLC
      >
      >Jim McBride wrote:
      > > One note,
      > > I have used both a serial(pic start plus) and a parallel(futurelec)
      > > programmer for PICs.
      > > It was my experience that the parallel programmer was much much faster on
      > > program time.
      > > The Futurelec programmer only programmed 16F877s, but for $30ish it was a
      > > nice, fast, development/programmer board.
      > > Jim

      > >> Remember to keep it apples to apples, that DB9 is for serial the DB25
      > >>is likely a parallel programmer. Note this board has an ICSP connector
      > >>but would still require a seperate programmer to at least get a
      > >>bootloader in, then use the serial port. Most likely the MELabs with a
      > >>DB25 is parallel port and has a programmer built in.
      > >>
      > >> Not a bad little board, but even with the Max232 there's relatively
      > >>little needed to get a PIC up and running. Not that much point vs just
      > >>doing the whole thing on a protoboard or a layout in Eagle.
      > >>
      > >>Alan
      > >>

      > >>Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org
      > >>
      > >>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

      > > Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org

      >--

    • Dennis Clark
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 4, 2003
        Jim,

        Yeah, Santa laughed when I mentioned the ICD2 unfortunately! Oh well,
        I'm planning on the lower end chips anyway (which I know like the back
        of my hand) and when using the bigger ones, using a bootloader system -
        to heck with the programmers there!

        have fun,
        DLC

        Jim McBride wrote:
        > I have long since stopped using both the old programmers. I now have an
        > ICD2 with demo board. Costly, but I am happy with the speed (USB) and
        > versatility parts I can program. The ICD is not as useful as I hoped. I
        > still do most of my debugging with the MPLAB simulator. Santa laughed when
        > I asked her for an emulator.
        > Jim
        >

        > At 02:57 PM 11/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >
        >>Jim,
        >>
        >> Not to get into a "my PIC programmer is better than yours!"
        >>discussion, but the WARP13 (looks like PICStart Plus) is faster than
        >>any of the other programmers I've used, and two or three times faster
        >>than the PICstart Plus is!
        >>
        >>DLC
        >>
        >>Jim McBride wrote:
        >>
        >>>One note,
        >>>I have used both a serial(pic start plus) and a parallel(futurelec)
        >>>programmer for PICs.
        >>>It was my experience that the parallel programmer was much much faster on
        >>>program time.
        >>>The Futurelec programmer only programmed 16F877s, but for $30ish it was a
        >>>nice, fast, development/programmer board.
        >>>Jim

        >>>Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org

        >>--

        * Dennis Clark dlc@... http://www.techtoystoday.com *
        * "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill *