RE: [SeattleRobotics] MPLAB error message

  • Jim McBride
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 3, 2003
      Well I guess that confirms what I thought.
      Two like answers are better than one!!

      Jim

      At 05:55 PM 10/3/2003 -0500, Doug Evans wrote:
      >you need a colon ':' character to define the label, if you are using MPASM.
      >
      >you should have
      >
      >KBD_1:
      >
      >not
      >
      >KBD_1
      >
      >-de

    • Scott Williamson
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 3, 2003
        I never use colons in MPLAB and doesn't it compile with MPASM?
        If there is a difference that would be interesting.

        Scott Williamson

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > >Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org

        ---
      • Doug Evans
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 3, 2003
          hmmm...you are correct Scott. I always use the colon (force of habit). I
          just tried without and it worked OK.

          Next question is, what version of MPLAB/MPASM is being used? While 6.xx will
          tolerate a label that starts someplace other than column 1, older version
          would not recognize it.

          Whoever placed the original post, send me your code off-list and I'll try it
          on my system.

          -de

          I never use colons in MPLAB and doesn't it compile with MPASM?
          If there is a difference that would be interesting.

          Scott Williamson

          Well I guess that confirms what I thought.
          Two like answers are better than one!!

          Jim

          At 05:55 PM 10/3/2003 -0500, Doug Evans wrote:
          >you need a colon ':' character to define the label, if you are using MPASM.
          >
          >you should have
          >
          >KBD_1:
          >
          >not
          >
          >KBD_1
          >
          >-de

        • Dennis Clark
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2003
            All,

            Nope, the first column is defined as a label column, you don't
            need a ":" there. If you got this file via a file download then
            you may have an extra character at the end of the line that you
            don't see in the editor but MPASM does see, or, you may be missing
            a character there. I frequently get this type of error when I
            download a source file. You'd need a pretty primitive editor (like
            NOTEPAD) to see this.

            DLC

            Doug Evans wrote:
[...]

            * Dennis Clark dlc@... http://www.techtoystoday.com *
            * "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill *
          • Randy Carter
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 4, 2003
              MPASM doesn't care if there is a colon or not after the label,
              just at least one space or a tab. I put one there so that it
              easier to find the beginning of the subroutine. Searching for
              delay10ms: is a lot quicker than stepping through 24 calls to
              delay10ms

              Labels always start in the first column. Instructions have at
              least one space in front of them. Some people use a tab to
              quickly put the equivalent of 8 spaces in front with one key stroke.

              Labels should also be placed on their own line like:

              delay10ms:
              movlw 0x23 ;Load outer loop count
              movwf loop3

              If you place the label in front of the first instruction you have
              to do a lot of reformatting if you decide to add a new first
              instruction. Also the variable spacing required eats to a lot of
              space on screen and paper.

              delay10ms: movlw 0x23 ;load outer loop count
              movwf loop3

              And as a forgetful programmer I always use comments. 6 months
              later you'll be saying "why the h@#$ did I do that".

              Finally the case sensitivity can be turned off. I always left it
              on to teach me consistency. It also makes certain things stand
              out like the internal registers of the chip. The STATUS register
              will always be capitalized through out the program.

              > Dennis Clark wrote:
              > All,
              >
              > Nope, the first column is defined as a label column, you don't
              > need a ":" there. If you got this file via a file download then
              > you may have an extra character at the end of the line that you
              > don't see in the editor but MPASM does see, or, you may be missing
              > a character there. I frequently get this type of error when I
              > download a source file. You'd need a pretty primitive editor (like
              > NOTEPAD) to see this.
              >
              > DLC
              >
              > Doug Evans wrote:
              > you need a colon ':' character to define the label, if you are using MPASM.
              >
              > you should have
              >
              > KBD_1:
              >
              > not
              >
              > KBD_1
              >
              > -de

            • Jack Buffington
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 5, 2003
                I never use colons after my labels when programming for the PIC. The only
                reason I can think of that they might be needed is if you have code on the
                same line as the label. I don't do that because I like to have longer, more
                descriptive labels.

                -Jack

                Instant message in style with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!
                http://msnmessenger-download.com