Re: [SeattleRobotics] Move files between two laptops (W95/W98)?

  • Dennis Clark
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 31, 2003
      All,

      Is the null modem anything more than just the TxD and RxD swapped or
      are there handshake lines used as well? This is useful info though,
      I'll see what works before I try and ad hoc network where I'd need to
      get PCMCIA NICs for each laptop - a bit expensive for this trick I
      think. ;)

      thanks for the information guys!
      DLC

      Alex C wrote:
      > if they both have IR just do an IR transfer of data.. Not exactly fast but
      > you can set it up and go watch a movie or something.. Then take a nap...
      > then cook breakfast and check if it’s done...
      >
      > Either that or if you have two PCMI Nic cards networking is not impossible
      > between 95 and 98 with a crossover cable between them. if all you have to do
      > is share a drive that’s easy in win98 (just make sure your updated to SE)
      > even with 95 as the other, its harder if its not a "fat" file system though
      > as in an NT machine but you don’t have to worry about that in this scenario.
      > Set it up and do all the work from the win 98 machine.. Trying to work from
      > the 95 machine could cause you to grow warts on your nose.
      >
      > or if ya really cant get anything to work just have a friend with a zip100
      > or zip 250 a jazz drive or a portable burner, a USB pen drive or heck a
      > portable hard drive come over and help you transfer the data in about 30
      > min..
      >
      > Alex
      >

      >>From: Dennis Clark <dlc@...
      >>
      >>hey guys,
      >>
      >> My old IBM THinkpad 365X is passing away to be replaced by my old
      >>IBM Thinkpad 600E. the 365 is running W95 and the 600E is running
      >>W98. I'm spoiled by Macs all having ready to run networking and I
      >>know that PC/laptops don't. So is there some way to use the serial
      >>or parallel ports on these things to move data from one laptop to
      >>another? I'd rather not have to move 500MB of robotics and electronics
      >>data by floppy!
      >>
      >>thanks,
      >>DLC
      >>--

      * Dennis Clark dlc@... http://www.techtoystoday.com *
      * "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill *
    • Tom Capon
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
        Don't know, I just used the cable from my Lego Mindstorms IR
        transmitter. Here is a link to a wiring diagram though:
        http://www.loop-back.com/null-mod.html

        And by the way, direct serial link is possible in windows xp (though maybe
        not the home version, the networking features stink in it). There are just
        some different hoops. You have to go to create new connection, and select
        advanced connection, and follow yellow brick road to a serial connection
        with one side set as client and the other as server (far as I can tell it's
        irrelevent in the connection, I could only do the transfer to a 2k machine
        from the XP machine whether it was the client or the server.)

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
          But you'll have to agree, floppy disks are slower, to say the least of it.

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
            A hearty thanks to all that responded to my dilemma. However...

            After spending an entire day trying to get "direct connection" working
            on EITHER of my laptops (missing dll files, unable to enable file
            sharing, etc.) I've decided to drop back ten and punt.

            I'm going to make that huge ZIP file, upload it to my ISP UNIX
            account, then log off and fire up my newer laptop and download the
            ZIP file(s). Just about all of my files have names longer than the
            DOS 8.3 length so using laplink sounds tedious to fix after using.

            I remember writing a DOS application that transferred files between
            two PCs several years ago as part of a datacomm class I took, but I
            can't find that code either so I'm taking the easy, if slower way out
            to avoid being an expert in a defunct (W95 and W98) OS. ;)

            Again, thanks all - I WISH that folks would write embedded and robotics
            stuff for a Mac...

            regards,
            DLC

            Clay wrote:
            > Dennis,
            >
            > Both Win95 and Win98 support connecting to another PC via a null modem
            > cable and "Direct Cable Connections". You could also use LapLink for
            > this. MSDOS shipped with two programs(LSERVER.EXE & Something else I
            > think...) that would share your drives. The programs may be located on
            > the Win9x install CD within the OLDMSDOS folder. I used to have them
            > and may still somewhere.
            >
            > I could send you a WinImage diskette image with a DOS version of LapLink
            > if you need it.
            >
            > Later,
            > -Clay
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .

          • trbrenke
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
              the difference is dramatic.
              I was coping a directory using a serial connection.
              I went to bed and came back in the morning. only about 1/4 of the way done.

              I trashed it and got a parallel cable.
              1 hour later that was done.

              parallel is 8X wider and not limited to a baud rate.

              but if you have the time...........

              > But you'll have to agree, floppy disks are slower, to say the least of it.
              >
              > At 08:37 PM 8/31/2003 -0700, trbrenke wrote:
              > >BUT, serial is very slow.
              > >been there. done that.
            • Clay
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                Still use the ZIP file and move it via a parallel null modem cable. This will be much faster than via modem up and down.

                -Clay
                .
                .
                .
                .
                .

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                  It isn't the serial cable, it is the software - I can't get the
                  direct connect nor file sharing to work on either computer. It
                  keeps complaining about missing DLL files and wanting me to put
                  the WXX disk in (which I do) but it still won't install anything,
                  etc. Very annoying, my time is worth more than fighting a $%#!
                  MS OS... Some get lucky, this time I didn't.

                  thanks anyway!
                  DLC

                • Niels Holmgård Andersen
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                    Hi,

                    I would put my money on interlnk and intersvr - they easily fit on a
                    floppy, do not require any windows installation and generally just work.
                    They do not make a LAN, but for older machines, they are a very nice set
                    of tools. They are present in DOS 5 and forward, as far as I recall. If
                    you do not have them, you can download them (and an explanation on how
                    to use them) from
                    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/5704/inter1.html

                    Good luck - not that you really need it :-) - the tools have saved me
                    from digging out the floppies many times.

                    /Niels

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                      Well, that's if you have a parallel cable. What kind of cable does it
                      require? I've got a basic male-male straight-wired parallel cable that
                      I've been using for PC control applications, will that work?

                      At 11:48 AM 9/1/2003 -0700, trbrenke wrote:
                      >the difference is dramatic.
                      >I was coping a directory using a serial connection.
                      >I went to bed and came back in the morning. only about 1/4 of the way done.
                      >
                      >I trashed it and got a parallel cable.
                      >1 hour later that was done.
                      >
                      >parallel is 8X wider and not limited to a baud rate.
                      >
                      >but if you have the time...........

                    • Tom Light
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                        A standard parallel cable won't work for this. I just did a beep test on the
                        parallel cable I use with Laplink and here is the pinout:

                        1 - 1
                        2 - 15
                        3 - 13
                        4 - 12
                        5 - 10
                        6 - 11
                        7 - NC
                        8 - NC
                        9 - NC
                        10 - NC
                        11 - 6
                        12 - 4
                        13 - 3
                        14 - 14
                        15 - 2
                        16 - 16
                        17 - 17
                        18 - NC
                        19 - NC
                        20 - NC
                        21 - NC
                        22 - NC
                        23 - 23
                        24 - 24
                        25 - 25

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                          OOPS! I missed a pin on 10. Here's a corrected pinout.
                          A standard parallel cable won't work for this. I just did a beep test on the
                          parallel cable I use with Laplink and here is the pinout:

                          1 - 1
                          2 - 15
                          3 - 13
                          4 - 12
                          5 - 10
                          6 - 11
                          7 - NC
                          8 - NC
                          9 - NC
                          10 - 5
                          11 - 6
                          12 - 4
                          13 - 3
                          14 - 14
                          15 - 2
                          16 - 16
                          17 - 17
                          18 - NC
                          19 - NC
                          20 - NC
                          21 - NC
                          22 - NC
                          23 - 23
                          24 - 24
                          25 - 25

                          Cheers!
                          Tom

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                            Tom,

                            I used a Hyperterm Zmodem connection - At 115K a 20MB file took
                            about 20 minutes. Sadly, my W98 machine turned on or partly
                            installed code that causes the OS to bitch about missing dll
                            files when I boot, but won't tell me what software that its
                            trying to start that is causing the error. Now I have to live
                            with THAT annoyance every time that I boot up! Sheesh.

                            thanks all,
                            DLC

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                              Alan,

                              Not third party, I never tried to install anything, just tried to
                              enable "file sharing" which caused various MS things to happen, which
                              wanted some W98 disk that I didn't have, which... I "canceled" the
                              process that started that install, but still some things were partially
                              installed I guess. Anyway, editing the startup files won't help, most
                              of the complaining starts with the blank DOS screen that comes up
                              before Windows even starts.
                              I had guessed about the startup stuff, perhaps there is a hint in
                              there about what code to try to get rid of, but the "add/remove"
                              programs menu didn't show anything new in there, so I can't seem to
                              get rid of it, and I don't know enough about Windows to start slamming
                              various networking plugins and options to get to a minimal set without
                              trashing the whole OS...

                              Thanks for the idea,
                              DLC

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                One last help question,

                                When trying to get direct cable connection to work on my W98 box
                                Windows dorked up and lost the following files:
                                vredir.vxd
                                dfs.vxd
                                msnp32.dll

                                I've looked, their gone. I see from Google that this is a common
                                issue - but the solution is to re-install all of the networking
                                software from the CD-ROM! Because I got my laptop used, I don't have
                                that CD-ROM, is there anyplace else I can get these apparently needed
                                files?

                                thanks and sorry about the off-topic bandwidth,
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                  Alan,

                                  Thanks for the instructional. I'm a Mac person and know my way
                                  around that system and UNIX and Linux pretty well, but PC's I
                                  stopped working with about the time Windows came out (Windows 286)
                                  so haven't kept up with the OS at all.

                                  Again, thanks,
                                  DLC

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                    Take pity on me, I've had vast experience with windows 98 and quite often
                                    it forgets that it asked you to put in a cd and is actually looking on the
                                    C drive for something that isn't there, and if it's just missing files you
                                    can find another working machine and just copy those files off that machine
                                    onto a disk and onto yours in the place that it's looking and it should
                                    work fine. One time I did that to install networking on a computer whose
                                    cd drive was not working in windows for some reason, it took a whole lot of
                                    floppy disks but I think it worked. not sure though....

                                    And yes, trashing it is an option, I always find that windows (win98
                                    especially) functions best if you reformat the hard drive and reinstall the
                                    operating system at least once every two months, preferably every
                                    month. This particular installation on win2k I'm running now has been here
                                    for almost a year, though, and I'm thinking of reformatting it, but then
                                    again, it's working pretty well and I've got lots of settings customized
                                    and it would be a pain to redo.

                                    At 08:56 AM 9/2/2003 -0600, Dennis Clark wrote:
                                    >Alan,
                                    >
                                    > Not third party, I never tried to install anything, just tried to
                                    >enable "file sharing" which caused various MS things to happen, which
                                    >wanted some W98 disk that I didn't have, which... I "canceled" the
                                    >process that started that install, but still some things were partially
                                    >installed I guess. Anyway, editing the startup files won't help, most
                                    >of the complaining starts with the blank DOS screen that comes up
                                    >before Windows even starts.
                                    > I had guessed about the startup stuff, perhaps there is a hint in
                                    >there about what code to try to get rid of, but the "add/remove"
                                    >programs menu didn't show anything new in there, so I can't seem to
                                    >get rid of it, and I don't know enough about Windows to start slamming
                                    >various networking plugins and options to get to a minimal set without
                                    >trashing the whole OS...
                                    >
                                    >Thanks for the idea,
                                    >DLC
                                    >
                                    >Alan King wrote:
                                    > > Dennis Clark wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > >> installed code that causes the OS to bitch about missing dll
                                    > >> files when I boot, but won't tell me what software that its
                                    > >> trying to start that is causing the error. Now I have to live
                                    > >

                                    > > Almost always 3rd party apps. Do Start, Run, and type msconfig. Turn
                                    > > off everything starting up on the startup tab and the error should go
                                    > > away. Turn things back on till you find the program, easy enough to
                                    > > track it down and reinstall or disable if it wasn't something you
                                    > > wanted. A lot of programs will sneak themselves in here without asking,
                                    > > once you're familiar with what you wanted here it's easy to see what
                                    > > added itself when these errors occur. Still could be a Windows DLL got
                                    > > munged but is usually from junk here..
                                    > >

                                    >--

                                  • Tom Capon
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                      You don't have another win98 disk anywhere? Hmmmm. Have you tried
                                      googling for them? Or you could get them from a friend's win98
                                      machine. And don't worry about the extra bandwidth, it's nice talking
                                      about something the rest of us know about ;-)

                                      At 09:46 AM 9/2/2003 -0600, Dennis Clark wrote:
                                      >One last help question,
                                      >
                                      >When trying to get direct cable connection to work on my W98 box
                                      >Windows dorked up and lost the following files:
                                      >vredir.vxd
                                      >dfs.vxd
                                      >msnp32.dll
                                      >
                                      >I've looked, their gone. I see from Google that this is a common
                                      >issue - but the solution is to re-install all of the networking
                                      >software from the CD-ROM! Because I got my laptop used, I don't have
                                      >that CD-ROM, is there anyplace else I can get these apparently needed
                                      >files?
                                      >
                                      >thanks and sorry about the off-topic bandwidth,
                                      >DLC
                                      >--

                                    • Dennis Clark
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                        Tom,

                                        Not yet, but I'll look! It turns out that Alan gave me the files
                                        that were missing, but msnp32.dll won't register, I keep getting a
                                        "general error 02" when I run regsrv32 to put it into the registry,
                                        don't know what is going on there... Time to look for a W98 CD
                                        for sale.

                                        thanks,
                                        DLC