Re: [SeattleRobotics] Move files between two laptops (W95/W98)?

  • Dennis Clark
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 31, 2003
      All,

      Is the null modem anything more than just the TxD and RxD swapped or
      are there handshake lines used as well? This is useful info though,
      I'll see what works before I try and ad hoc network where I'd need to
      get PCMCIA NICs for each laptop - a bit expensive for this trick I
      think. ;)

      thanks for the information guys!
      DLC

      Alex C wrote:
      > if they both have IR just do an IR transfer of data.. Not exactly fast but
      > you can set it up and go watch a movie or something.. Then take a nap...
      > then cook breakfast and check if it’s done...
      >
      > Either that or if you have two PCMI Nic cards networking is not impossible
      > between 95 and 98 with a crossover cable between them. if all you have to do
      > is share a drive that’s easy in win98 (just make sure your updated to SE)
      > even with 95 as the other, its harder if its not a "fat" file system though
      > as in an NT machine but you don’t have to worry about that in this scenario.
      > Set it up and do all the work from the win 98 machine.. Trying to work from
      > the 95 machine could cause you to grow warts on your nose.
      >
      > or if ya really cant get anything to work just have a friend with a zip100
      > or zip 250 a jazz drive or a portable burner, a USB pen drive or heck a
      > portable hard drive come over and help you transfer the data in about 30
      > min..
      >
      > Alex
      >

      >>From: Dennis Clark <dlc@...
      >>
      >>hey guys,
      >>
      >> My old IBM THinkpad 365X is passing away to be replaced by my old
      >>IBM Thinkpad 600E. the 365 is running W95 and the 600E is running
      >>W98. I'm spoiled by Macs all having ready to run networking and I
      >>know that PC/laptops don't. So is there some way to use the serial
      >>or parallel ports on these things to move data from one laptop to
      >>another? I'd rather not have to move 500MB of robotics and electronics
      >>data by floppy!
      >>
      >>thanks,
      >>DLC
      >>--

      * Dennis Clark dlc@... http://www.techtoystoday.com *
      * "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill *
    • Kenneth Maxon
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 31, 2003
        You're looking for 2 programs, interlink and interserver. They are spelled
        with shortened names interlnk.exe and intersvr.exe.

        -Kenneth
        (Unit 3's in trouble and it's scared out of its wits) -Geddy Lee
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
          Don't know, I just used the cable from my Lego Mindstorms IR
          transmitter. Here is a link to a wiring diagram though:
          http://www.loop-back.com/null-mod.html

          And by the way, direct serial link is possible in windows xp (though maybe
          not the home version, the networking features stink in it). There are just
          some different hoops. You have to go to create new connection, and select
          advanced connection, and follow yellow brick road to a serial connection
          with one side set as client and the other as server (far as I can tell it's
          irrelevent in the connection, I could only do the transfer to a 2k machine
          from the XP machine whether it was the client or the server.)

          At 10:32 PM 8/31/2003 -0600, Dennis Clark wrote:
          >Tom,
          >
          > What lines had to be cross connected for the null modem cable? Was it
          >just TxD and RxD?
          >
          >thanks,
          >DLC
          >
          >Tom Capon wrote:
          >>Provided you have Direct Cable Link (or something similar) installed into
          >>windows, it should be pretty easy to just take a regular femail-to-female
          >>9-pin serial connector and set up a direct connection through it. I've
          >>done it between a win2k desktop and a winxp laptop, but it might be
          >>harder between win95 and win98. you can probably find info in the
          >>windows help, just look for "direct connection".
          >>At 04:12 PM 8/31/2003 -0600, Dennis Clark wrote:
          >>
          >>>hey guys,
          >>>
          >>> My old IBM THinkpad 365X is passing away to be replaced by my old
          >>>IBM Thinkpad 600E. the 365 is running W95 and the 600E is running
          >>>W98. I'm spoiled by Macs all having ready to run networking and I
          >>>know that PC/laptops don't. So is there some way to use the serial
          >>>or parallel ports on these things to move data from one laptop to
          >>>another? I'd rather not have to move 500MB of robotics and electronics
          >>>data by floppy!
          >>>
          >>>thanks,
          >>>DLC
          >>>--

          >>Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org

          >--
          >* Dennis Clark dlc@... http://www.techtoystoday.com *
          >* "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill *
        • Tom Capon
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
            But you'll have to agree, floppy disks are slower, to say the least of it.

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
              A hearty thanks to all that responded to my dilemma. However...

              After spending an entire day trying to get "direct connection" working
              on EITHER of my laptops (missing dll files, unable to enable file
              sharing, etc.) I've decided to drop back ten and punt.

              I'm going to make that huge ZIP file, upload it to my ISP UNIX
              account, then log off and fire up my newer laptop and download the
              ZIP file(s). Just about all of my files have names longer than the
              DOS 8.3 length so using laplink sounds tedious to fix after using.

              I remember writing a DOS application that transferred files between
              two PCs several years ago as part of a datacomm class I took, but I
              can't find that code either so I'm taking the easy, if slower way out
              to avoid being an expert in a defunct (W95 and W98) OS. ;)

              Again, thanks all - I WISH that folks would write embedded and robotics
              stuff for a Mac...

              regards,
              DLC

              Clay wrote:
              > Dennis,
              >
              > Both Win95 and Win98 support connecting to another PC via a null modem
              > cable and "Direct Cable Connections". You could also use LapLink for
              > this. MSDOS shipped with two programs(LSERVER.EXE & Something else I
              > think...) that would share your drives. The programs may be located on
              > the Win9x install CD within the OLDMSDOS folder. I used to have them
              > and may still somewhere.
              >
              > I could send you a WinImage diskette image with a DOS version of LapLink
              > if you need it.
              >
              > Later,
              > -Clay
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .

            • trbrenke
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                the difference is dramatic.
                I was coping a directory using a serial connection.
                I went to bed and came back in the morning. only about 1/4 of the way done.

                I trashed it and got a parallel cable.
                1 hour later that was done.

                parallel is 8X wider and not limited to a baud rate.

                but if you have the time...........

                > But you'll have to agree, floppy disks are slower, to say the least of it.
                >
                > At 08:37 PM 8/31/2003 -0700, trbrenke wrote:
                > >BUT, serial is very slow.
                > >been there. done that.
              • Clay
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                  Still use the ZIP file and move it via a parallel null modem cable. This will be much faster than via modem up and down.

                  -Clay
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                    It isn't the serial cable, it is the software - I can't get the
                    direct connect nor file sharing to work on either computer. It
                    keeps complaining about missing DLL files and wanting me to put
                    the WXX disk in (which I do) but it still won't install anything,
                    etc. Very annoying, my time is worth more than fighting a $%#!
                    MS OS... Some get lucky, this time I didn't.

                    thanks anyway!
                    DLC

                  • Niels Holmgård Andersen
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                      Hi,

                      I would put my money on interlnk and intersvr - they easily fit on a
                      floppy, do not require any windows installation and generally just work.
                      They do not make a LAN, but for older machines, they are a very nice set
                      of tools. They are present in DOS 5 and forward, as far as I recall. If
                      you do not have them, you can download them (and an explanation on how
                      to use them) from
                      http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/5704/inter1.html

                      Good luck - not that you really need it :-) - the tools have saved me
                      from digging out the floppies many times.

                      /Niels

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                        Well, that's if you have a parallel cable. What kind of cable does it
                        require? I've got a basic male-male straight-wired parallel cable that
                        I've been using for PC control applications, will that work?

                        At 11:48 AM 9/1/2003 -0700, trbrenke wrote:
                        >the difference is dramatic.
                        >I was coping a directory using a serial connection.
                        >I went to bed and came back in the morning. only about 1/4 of the way done.
                        >
                        >I trashed it and got a parallel cable.
                        >1 hour later that was done.
                        >
                        >parallel is 8X wider and not limited to a baud rate.
                        >
                        >but if you have the time...........

                      • Tom Light
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                          A standard parallel cable won't work for this. I just did a beep test on the
                          parallel cable I use with Laplink and here is the pinout:

                          1 - 1
                          2 - 15
                          3 - 13
                          4 - 12
                          5 - 10
                          6 - 11
                          7 - NC
                          8 - NC
                          9 - NC
                          10 - NC
                          11 - 6
                          12 - 4
                          13 - 3
                          14 - 14
                          15 - 2
                          16 - 16
                          17 - 17
                          18 - NC
                          19 - NC
                          20 - NC
                          21 - NC
                          22 - NC
                          23 - 23
                          24 - 24
                          25 - 25

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                            OOPS! I missed a pin on 10. Here's a corrected pinout.
                            A standard parallel cable won't work for this. I just did a beep test on the
                            parallel cable I use with Laplink and here is the pinout:

                            1 - 1
                            2 - 15
                            3 - 13
                            4 - 12
                            5 - 10
                            6 - 11
                            7 - NC
                            8 - NC
                            9 - NC
                            10 - 5
                            11 - 6
                            12 - 4
                            13 - 3
                            14 - 14
                            15 - 2
                            16 - 16
                            17 - 17
                            18 - NC
                            19 - NC
                            20 - NC
                            21 - NC
                            22 - NC
                            23 - 23
                            24 - 24
                            25 - 25

                            Cheers!
                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                              Tom,

                              I used a Hyperterm Zmodem connection - At 115K a 20MB file took
                              about 20 minutes. Sadly, my W98 machine turned on or partly
                              installed code that causes the OS to bitch about missing dll
                              files when I boot, but won't tell me what software that its
                              trying to start that is causing the error. Now I have to live
                              with THAT annoyance every time that I boot up! Sheesh.

                              thanks all,
                              DLC

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                Alan,

                                Not third party, I never tried to install anything, just tried to
                                enable "file sharing" which caused various MS things to happen, which
                                wanted some W98 disk that I didn't have, which... I "canceled" the
                                process that started that install, but still some things were partially
                                installed I guess. Anyway, editing the startup files won't help, most
                                of the complaining starts with the blank DOS screen that comes up
                                before Windows even starts.
                                I had guessed about the startup stuff, perhaps there is a hint in
                                there about what code to try to get rid of, but the "add/remove"
                                programs menu didn't show anything new in there, so I can't seem to
                                get rid of it, and I don't know enough about Windows to start slamming
                                various networking plugins and options to get to a minimal set without
                                trashing the whole OS...

                                Thanks for the idea,
                                DLC

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                  One last help question,

                                  When trying to get direct cable connection to work on my W98 box
                                  Windows dorked up and lost the following files:
                                  vredir.vxd
                                  dfs.vxd
                                  msnp32.dll

                                  I've looked, their gone. I see from Google that this is a common
                                  issue - but the solution is to re-install all of the networking
                                  software from the CD-ROM! Because I got my laptop used, I don't have
                                  that CD-ROM, is there anyplace else I can get these apparently needed
                                  files?

                                  thanks and sorry about the off-topic bandwidth,
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                    Alan,

                                    Thanks for the instructional. I'm a Mac person and know my way
                                    around that system and UNIX and Linux pretty well, but PC's I
                                    stopped working with about the time Windows came out (Windows 286)
                                    so haven't kept up with the OS at all.

                                    Again, thanks,
                                    DLC

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                      Take pity on me, I've had vast experience with windows 98 and quite often
                                      it forgets that it asked you to put in a cd and is actually looking on the
                                      C drive for something that isn't there, and if it's just missing files you
                                      can find another working machine and just copy those files off that machine
                                      onto a disk and onto yours in the place that it's looking and it should
                                      work fine. One time I did that to install networking on a computer whose
                                      cd drive was not working in windows for some reason, it took a whole lot of
                                      floppy disks but I think it worked. not sure though....

                                      And yes, trashing it is an option, I always find that windows (win98
                                      especially) functions best if you reformat the hard drive and reinstall the
                                      operating system at least once every two months, preferably every
                                      month. This particular installation on win2k I'm running now has been here
                                      for almost a year, though, and I'm thinking of reformatting it, but then
                                      again, it's working pretty well and I've got lots of settings customized
                                      and it would be a pain to redo.

                                      At 08:56 AM 9/2/2003 -0600, Dennis Clark wrote:
                                      >Alan,
                                      >
                                      > Not third party, I never tried to install anything, just tried to
                                      >enable "file sharing" which caused various MS things to happen, which
                                      >wanted some W98 disk that I didn't have, which... I "canceled" the
                                      >process that started that install, but still some things were partially
                                      >installed I guess. Anyway, editing the startup files won't help, most
                                      >of the complaining starts with the blank DOS screen that comes up
                                      >before Windows even starts.
                                      > I had guessed about the startup stuff, perhaps there is a hint in
                                      >there about what code to try to get rid of, but the "add/remove"
                                      >programs menu didn't show anything new in there, so I can't seem to
                                      >get rid of it, and I don't know enough about Windows to start slamming
                                      >various networking plugins and options to get to a minimal set without
                                      >trashing the whole OS...
                                      >
                                      >Thanks for the idea,
                                      >DLC
                                      >
                                      >Alan King wrote:
                                      > > Dennis Clark wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > >> installed code that causes the OS to bitch about missing dll
                                      > >> files when I boot, but won't tell me what software that its
                                      > >> trying to start that is causing the error. Now I have to live
                                      > >

                                      > > Almost always 3rd party apps. Do Start, Run, and type msconfig. Turn
                                      > > off everything starting up on the startup tab and the error should go
                                      > > away. Turn things back on till you find the program, easy enough to
                                      > > track it down and reinstall or disable if it wasn't something you
                                      > > wanted. A lot of programs will sneak themselves in here without asking,
                                      > > once you're familiar with what you wanted here it's easy to see what
                                      > > added itself when these errors occur. Still could be a Windows DLL got
                                      > > munged but is usually from junk here..
                                      > >

                                      >--

                                    • Tom Capon
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                        You don't have another win98 disk anywhere? Hmmmm. Have you tried
                                        googling for them? Or you could get them from a friend's win98
                                        machine. And don't worry about the extra bandwidth, it's nice talking
                                        about something the rest of us know about ;-)

                                        At 09:46 AM 9/2/2003 -0600, Dennis Clark wrote:
                                        >One last help question,
                                        >
                                        >When trying to get direct cable connection to work on my W98 box
                                        >Windows dorked up and lost the following files:
                                        >vredir.vxd
                                        >dfs.vxd
                                        >msnp32.dll
                                        >
                                        >I've looked, their gone. I see from Google that this is a common
                                        >issue - but the solution is to re-install all of the networking
                                        >software from the CD-ROM! Because I got my laptop used, I don't have
                                        >that CD-ROM, is there anyplace else I can get these apparently needed
                                        >files?
                                        >
                                        >thanks and sorry about the off-topic bandwidth,
                                        >DLC
                                        >--

                                      • Dennis Clark
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                          Tom,

                                          Not yet, but I'll look! It turns out that Alan gave me the files
                                          that were missing, but msnp32.dll won't register, I keep getting a
                                          "general error 02" when I run regsrv32 to put it into the registry,
                                          don't know what is going on there... Time to look for a W98 CD
                                          for sale.

                                          thanks,
                                          DLC