RE: [SeattleRobotics] Humanoids

  • Kevin Ross
    Message 1 of 71 , Jun 3, 2003

      I am quite willing to take your bet. How much money should we plunk down
      here? :-)

      Current trends in computer power and AI research are mostly worthless as an
      indicator to the future. I have been listening to this same prediction for
      at least 25 years. Today, we are not really any closer to the stated goal
      than we were 25 years ago. We have basically moved about a centimeter in the
      kilometer long race.

      The computer power argument is the most worthless part. If someone could
      demonstrate a computer program that was able to understand its surroundings
      on a human level, have the ability to learn concepts on its own, and form
      its own opinions and express creativity at a human level, I would be willing
      to wait an hour or a day for the result. To date, nothing comes even close.
      You could square the current computer power, and we still would be no closer
      to a solution. You would just arrive at a non-answer faster!

      This ain't a hardware problem! The hard parts of robotics are not mechanics
      or control hardware, it's the control and intelligence software that we
      don't know how to write. We don't know how to model human intelligence or
      creativity. We certainly don't know how to write such a program.

      I watch these television programs with great interest. However, don't get
      yourselve too wrapped up in the hype. Asimo, Aibo, Cog, and all the rest of
      the fantasic robots on the television are interesting achievements, but
      their value is highly overstated.

      I would love to be proven wrong.

      Kevin
    • widget master
      Message 71 of 71 , Jun 7, 2003
        Five years ago, Most Everyone was thinking in serial. Your living in the
        past man.......