vision

  • Gary Livick
    Message 1 of 19 , May 25, 2003
      Is anybody still doing vision work? I found this link, looking for something
      else, which might be if interest: http://gandalf-library.sourceforge.net/

      Best regards,

      Gary Livick
    • jamesfit@paradise.net.nz
      Message 2 of 19 , May 25, 2003
        Hi Gary,
        Cheers for the link.

        > Is anybody still doing vision work? I found this link, looking for
        > something
        > else, which might be if interest:
        > http://gandalf-library.sourceforge.net/

        I am currently playing with some vision stuff at the moment. I have almost
        finished a basic object tracking system using a gameboy camera and a MRM. The
        system works at the moment, but I want to try and make it a little more
        responsive.

        My next tasks are stereopsis for ranging, and basic object recognition. Lofty
        goals I know, but if you don't reach for the sky...

        If anyone else is working on anything along these lines I'd like to talk to
        you.

        Cheers,
        James Fitzsimons
      • Gary Livick
        Message 3 of 19 , May 25, 2003
          Hi James,

          What are you using to set exposure? Did you come up with your own algorithm, or
          are you using Doug Kelly's?

          Gary

        • jamesfit@paradise.net.nz
          Message 4 of 19 , May 25, 2003
            Gary,

            I am using the gbcam code included in the motorobots library. I believe this was
            written by Dafydd Walters.

            Cheers,
            James

            > Hi James,
            >
            > What are you using to set exposure? Did you come up with your own
            > algorithm, or
            > are you using Doug Kelly's?
            >
            > Gary
            >
            > jamesfit@... wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Gary,
            > > Cheers for the link.
            > >
            > > > Is anybody still doing vision work? I found this link, looking for
            > > > something
            > > > else, which might be if interest:
            > > > http://gandalf-library.sourceforge.net/
            > >
            > > I am currently playing with some vision stuff at the moment. I have
            > almost
            > > finished a basic object tracking system using a gameboy camera and a
            > MRM. The
            > > system works at the moment, but I want to try and make it a little
            > more
            > > responsive.
            > >
            > > My next tasks are stereopsis for ranging, and basic object
            > recognition. Lofty
            > > goals I know, but if you don't reach for the sky...
            > >
            > > If anyone else is working on anything along these lines I'd like to
            > talk to
            > > you.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > James Fitzsimons
            > >
            > > Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Lyle Joseph Chamberlain
            Message 5 of 19 , May 26, 2003
              James,

              I'm woroking on something similar for a class and as a favor to a friend.
              She is building a "robotic art" piece-- a wall of animatronic eyes that
              single out a single person in a group and stare at them for as long as
              they are there (in theory). The "art" is about racial profiling or
              something of that nature (I won't go into that!). Anyway, I will track
              multiple objects and do a probabilistic analysis of each one to decide
              which one corresponds to the person of interest. The algorithm chooses
              which person to track based on their uniqueness to ease tracking. That's
              nice for the art piece, because (depending on the features the algorithm
              uses) it may end up starting at "different" people (the skinny one, the
              colored one, the one with a bright shirt, etc). I will also use some
              simple stereo (3 cameras) so that the eyes can converge on the same spot.

              What kind of processor are you using? If you're interested in object
              recognition and you love programming, David Lowe's object recognition
              technique works VERY well-- easy to train, runs very quickly. But you
              need a PC or something else that's pretty dang quick. Evolution Robotics
              uses it. A lot of guys at the lab here are woking on improving it... so
              you may be able to find some basic implementation already written.

              Also, for resources check out CMU's computer vision page. They have
              hundreds of links. (just ask Google)

              Sounds like a fun project!

              -Lyle Chamberlain

              On Mon, 26 May 2003 jamesfit@... wrote:

              > Hi Gary,
              > Cheers for the link.
              >
              > > Is anybody still doing vision work? I found this link, looking for
              > > something
              > > else, which might be if interest:
              > > http://gandalf-library.sourceforge.net/
              >
              > I am currently playing with some vision stuff at the moment. I have almost
              > finished a basic object tracking system using a gameboy camera and a MRM. The
              > system works at the moment, but I want to try and make it a little more
              > responsive.
              >
              > My next tasks are stereopsis for ranging, and basic object recognition. Lofty
              > goals I know, but if you don't reach for the sky...
              >
              > If anyone else is working on anything along these lines I'd like to talk to
              > you.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > James Fitzsimons

            • Mike Ball
              Message 6 of 19 , May 28, 2003
                Hi list,

                I plan to try line following/recognition as my first vision project. I
                recently got a Gameboy Camera and am going to be attempting to interface it
                to my Basic Stamp 2. It is my understanding that people have stayed away
                from the BS2 for vision applications because of it's relative simplicity
                and lack of processing power. That said, has anybody else used a BS2 for
                vision?

                I'm not anticipating any problems communicating with the camera, but I am
                seeing a problem developing in storing the image and then processing it. I
                don't think that the BS2 has enough ram to hold the entire image.

                I've got two solutions I'm thinking of. First, I might just capture only
                the black pixels, thereby eliminating the vast majority off the background
                and thus having to store maybe 1/5 of the pixel values.

                Secondly, I was thinking as I move past line following, it would be
                valuable to have the entire image available for processing. To do that, if
                I can't fit all the image in the BS2's local memory, I was thinking of
                using a serial RAM chip.

                Any thoughts or suggestions?

                Thanks,
                Mike

                At 11:11 AM 25/05/2003, you wrote:
                >Is anybody still doing vision work?

              • Doug Evans
                Message 7 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                  Mike,

                  I think you are setting yourself up for some major aggravation and
                  frustration trying to process that gameboy image with the BS2. It has 26
                  bytes of RAM? If you did manage to process the image and recognize the line,
                  you won't have enough left to actually direct the robot. Furthermore, your
                  rate of sampling and processing the image will be so slow that you could
                  pass right over some critical area (like an intersection) and never see it.

                  If you need a BS2 plug-compatible with some horsepower, try the BasicX.

                  But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong....

                  -de

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                    An image from the Game Boy has 16 K of information. A fast processor,
                    like the 68332 MRM, a 32 bit microcontroller with lots of RAM and
                    running at 25 MHz, can capture 30 images a second. Compare the BS2
                    against the 68332 capability-wise, and you can get an idea if you can do
                    what you want with it.

                    On the plus side, you can clock out each pixel from the GB cam as slowly
                    as you would like. The image size is about 128 x 128, so there a lots
                    of them, and each pixel is an analog voltage between 0-5 volts, so there
                    is much data there. You could look at each pixel, change it to either
                    black or white depending on its intensity, and get a useable image from
                    it (for some things) which takes up less RAM space.

                    It does sound like Doug is suggesting, that you are getting ready to
                    drop a big-block Chevy engine into a row boat. But maybe you can get it
                    to work! Keep us posted.

                    Gary Livick

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                      Hi Guys,

                      snip
                      >I think you are setting yourself up for some major aggravation and
                      >frustration trying to process that gameboy image with the BS2.

                      That seems to be the response I'm getting off list as well. Thanks, I'll
                      steer clear of the BS2 for vision, except for some limited experiments
                      until I can afford a better controller!

                      Any other suggestions for vision capable, low cost, microcontrollers? I
                      like the MRM but it's pushing my budget (going to University this fall)

                      Thanks again,
                      Mike

                    • Mike Ball
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                        Hi Guys,

                        snip
                        >I think you are setting yourself up for some major aggravation and
                        >frustration trying to process that gameboy image with the BS2.

                        That seems to be the response I'm getting off list as well. Thanks, I'll
                        steer clear of the BS2 for vision, except for some limited experiments
                        until I can afford a better controller!

                        Any other suggestions for vision capable, low cost, microcontrollers? I
                        like the MRM but it's pushing my budget (going to University this fall)

                        Thanks again,
                        Mike

                      • Nicholas Frank
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                          Think about using a DSP!

                          Nicholas Frank

                          >I think you are setting yourself up for some major aggravation and
                          >frustration trying to process that gameboy image with the BS2.

                          That seems to be the response I'm getting off list as well. Thanks, I'll
                          steer clear of the BS2 for vision, except for some limited experiments
                          until I can afford a better controller!

                          Any other suggestions for vision capable, low cost, microcontrollers? I
                          like the MRM but it's pushing my budget (going to University this fall)

                          Thanks again,
                          Mike

                        • Larry Barello
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                            I sell an inexpensive, high performance control board that would be suitable for limited
                            vision stuff.

                            www.barello.net/ARC

                            One of the original gameboy vision systems was done using an 8515 AVR chip running at
                            8mhz. The mega16, I provide, can run at 16mhz and has two cycle multiplies so things
                            generally go much faster.

                            The BASIC compiler available for the board has pretty good performance as well. There
                            is no comparing it to the basic stamp (500k/lines/sec vs 1-6k for the stamp, 1k variable
                            space vs 26 bytes... and so forth). And, of course, C for full performance.

                            Cheers!

                            > >I think you are setting yourself up for some major aggravation and
                            > >frustration trying to process that gameboy image with the BS2.
                            >
                            > That seems to be the response I'm getting off list as well. Thanks, I'll
                            > steer clear of the BS2 for vision, except for some limited experiments
                            > until I can afford a better controller!
                            >
                            > Any other suggestions for vision capable, low cost, microcontrollers? I
                            > like the MRM but it's pushing my budget (going to University this fall)

                          • Jack Buffington
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                              Cygnal sells some 8051 chips that run at 50Mhz and have some pretty decent
                              RAM. If I am remembering correctly, you can connect a lot more RAM to it
                              externally. That might be sufficient for some vision tasks. They have been
                              hinting strongly at releasing a 100Mhz 8051 in the future as well.

                              -Jack

                              >That seems to be the response I'm getting off list as well. Thanks, I'll
                              >steer clear of the BS2 for vision, except for some limited experiments
                              >until I can afford a better controller!
                              >
                              >Any other suggestions for vision capable, low cost, microcontrollers? I
                              >like the MRM but it's pushing my budget (going to University this fall)
                              >
                              >Thanks again,
                              >Mike

                            • David VanHorn
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                                At 09:20 PM 5/29/2003 +0000, Jack Buffington wrote:

                                >Cygnal sells some 8051 chips that run at 50Mhz and have some pretty decent RAM. If I am remembering correctly, you can connect a lot more RAM to it externally. That might be sufficient for some vision tasks. They have been hinting strongly at releasing a 100Mhz 8051 in the future as well.

                                Unless they've improved things internally, this is a "turbo Yugo".
                                The 8051 is accumulator based, and the standard parts have instructions that take many cycles.

                                The AVR is register based, mostly 1 instr/cycle, and the M128 can take 64k external SRAM without bank switching. I'd be very inclined to pick up Larry's board, if I had <ANY> hobby time atm.
                              • Brian Dean
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                                  Hi Mike,

                                  On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 12:43:15PM -0600, Mike Ball wrote:

                                  > That seems to be the response I'm getting off list as well. Thanks, I'll
                                  > steer clear of the BS2 for vision, except for some limited experiments
                                  > until I can afford a better controller!
                                  >
                                  > Any other suggestions for vision capable, low cost, microcontrollers? I
                                  > like the MRM but it's pushing my budget (going to University this fall)

                                  Take a peek at my MAVRIC board:

                                  http://www.bdmicro.com/

                                  It incorporates an ATmega128 and includes 128K of RAM on board. The
                                  ATmega128 can directly use the lower 64K of that, and by using bank
                                  switching, you can use the upper 64K also, giving you the 128K total.
                                  Of course, if you don't want to mess with bank switching you can just
                                  ignore the upper 64K and still have the lower 64K to use very easily
                                  without any special programming.

                                  Also, with the ATmega128 you have 128K of FLASH so you have plenty of
                                  room for your code. And at 16 MHz, it hums along rather quickly -
                                  plenty of power to do serious work.

                                  Also, in addition to the on-board external 128K of RAM, it includes
                                  two level-shifted UARTs, a battery backed Dallas I2C Real Time Clock,
                                  and 32K of I2C serial EEPROM. Also, you can save some bucks by buying
                                  the kit, assuming you are experienced at circuit assembly. It is
                                  available assembled as well.

                                  And finally, some enthusiastic owners have started a Yahoo! group, so
                                  you should find plenty kindred spirits:

                                  Cheers,
                                  -Brian
                                  --
                                  Brian Dean, bsd@...
                                  BDMICRO - Maker of the MAVRIC ATmega128 Dev Board
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                                    Cygnal says that their chip does most operations in one cycle. In skimming
                                    through a datasheet of one of their top of the line chips, it has a 16 bit
                                    memory address ability. Presumably you can connect up to 64K to it. You
                                    can connect the memory directly and the chip will take care of reading and
                                    writing.

                                    One question though: What is the difference between register-based and
                                    accumulator-based? I am not familiar with those terms.

                                    -Jack

                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 29, 2003

                                      >One question though: What is the difference between register-based and
                                      >accumulator-based? I am not familiar with those terms.

                                      In a totally register based machine like the Z8, all ram is registers, and all instructions work in all registers. So, you can add the contents of address 75 to the contents of address 121 in a single instruction.

                                      In the AVR, you can add register A to register B, but not all ram is registers, so you have a few things you can keep in the 32 registers, but after that you have to load from sram and store to sram.
                                      To decrement a loop counter, it's simply "dec R20"

                                      In the pic, everything that happens, happens in the "W" register. (In Z-80, or 8051 terms, this is the accumulator)
                                      So you have to load the data into the W register, do whatever you're going to do, then put it back where it's stored so you can do the next thing.
                                    • adriansmith01
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                                        I built a GBCam board using an 877 PIC, external RAM and ADC.

                                        I had trouble getting fast and predictable read and write cycles
                                        generated since I used PIC Basic (and still need to re-write) but
                                        depending on the frame refresh rate you require it still gives a
                                        usable system. I used it to send frames to a VB program so didn't
                                        require too fast a refresh. (couple of frames a second)

                                        The GBCam seems to be more picky to lower clock rates during the
                                        writing of the config bytes rather than the clocking out of the
                                        analog readings.

                                        See details on www.smithstuff.net in the "image capture card"
                                        section.

                                        Cheers, Adrian.

                                      • potatomen2004
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 26, 2004
                                          can we use vision processing for line maze?
                                          -p