Need info on mapping...

  • Ande Boyer
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      Greetings All,

      I'm looking to learn more about mapping. By this I mean I want to put some
      sonars, IR's, etc on my robot then put the robot in an unknown environment
      and have it build a virtual map of its surroundings.

      I'm not so much intersted in the hardware needed to accomplish this as I am
      the algorithms needed. I've found some information on exporting mux'd sonar
      data to a terminal screen and displaying it; however, I'd like to be able to
      do this and continue building the map as the robot moves. (preferably over a
      non-uniform surface).

      If anyone knows of any good references, please shoot them over my way.

      Thanks,
      Ande
    • dan michaels
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2003
        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Ande Boyer" <boyerj@u...>
        wrote:
        > Greetings All,
        >
        > I'm looking to learn more about mapping. By this I mean I want to
        put some> sonars, IR's, etc on my robot then put the robot in an
        unknown environment> and have it build a virtual map of its
        surroundings.

        Ande, you might check out chapter 8 of "Where am I?". Also, the CMU
        boys have done a lot in the area of mapping.

        http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~johannb/position.htm
        http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~rll/overview/

        - dan michaels
        www.oricomtech.com