Any recommendations for high-current motor driver?

  • Don Papp

      Hi there everyone. I would like to know if anyone can recommend to me an
      efficient high-current motor driver that can be driven with logic-level
      PWM.

      I've always used either the TC4424/5 or the L293 series, but these
      requirements are a little different that what I usually use.

      - - Motor is UNI-DIRECTIONAL dc motor
      - - Motor peak draw is around 12-15A
      - - Motor runs off an 8.4V-9.6V nicd or nimh cell

      Motor will not run continuously - will run for less than 10 seconds at a
      time.

      Details:
      The motor is a high-torque DC motor that drives gears that drive a piston
      in a pump assembly. So it's doing a fair amount of work, but only pumps
      in < 10 second "bursts" at varying intervals (sometimes seconds apart,
      sometimes minutes/couple hours). The system's never "up" for more than
      several hours (used or not)

      Power source is a NiCd (or NiMH) battery of either 8.4V or 9.6V. Power is
      applied direct to the motor, so the pump runs at around 800-1000 rpm
      (give or take) or so depending on the juice left in the battery, etc.

      I want to drive the motor from the same battery but with an embedded PWM
      controller so that the whole pump assembly runs instead at something like
      500-600rpm or so (depending on the PWM chosen of course). The speed is
      not critical by any means. I just want the pump to wun with the same
      "power" but lower speed/rpm.

      The pump assembly is sealed and changing the motor/gears is not an option.
      I'd prefer also to keep this small.

      I was thinking of running a small oscillator (making the PWM signal)
      feeding a motor driver chip of some kind fed by the main battery. So the
      motor driver is always "ON" and the switch that originally connected the
      battery to the motor now connects the motor to the motor driver outputs.
      So the same "switch" to turn everything on is still there - it just now
      connects the motor to the always-on PWM/Motor Driver output instead of
      direct to the battery like it did originally.

      I'm not worried about the driver using power by being always on, but I
      don't want to overly compromise the power to the motor or the overall
      runtime of the system (compared to the power/runtime of connecting a
      motor direct to the battery). I just want the whole thing to run
      *slower*.

      Can anyone suggest something that will fit the bill? Or should I
      take a different approach? Thanks!

      Don Papp
      http://AEinnovations.com
      GNUPG/PGP Key: http://AEinnovations.com/downloads/pubkey.html

    • Larry Barello
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2003
        Look at IRF "Intelligent Power Switches".
        http://www.irf.com/product-info/ips/ These look like FETs, but have
        logic drive and are fully protected against faults & over temperature.
        They are only a couple bucks at Digikey and some go up to 100A (not
        continuous, but peak current limit).

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2003
          I would probably suggest a logic level MOSFET.

          The STP80NE03L06 is a little expensive at $2.20 but is a TO-220 package and
          has an RDSon of 0.006 Ohms (MOUSER 511-STP80NE03L06)

          Be sure to protect it with the standard diodes and probably a snubber with a
          1/2 W 100 Ohm Resister and a >100V 0.1 MFD poly capacitor.

          Kip

          > Hi there everyone. I would like to know if anyone can recommend to me an
          > efficient high-current motor driver that can be driven with logic-level
          > PWM.
          >
          > I've always used either the TC4424/5 or the L293 series, but these
          > requirements are a little different that what I usually use.
          >
          > - - Motor is UNI-DIRECTIONAL dc motor
          > - - Motor peak draw is around 12-15A
          > - - Motor runs off an 8.4V-9.6V nicd or nimh cell
          >
          > Motor will not run continuously - will run for less than 10 seconds at a
          > time.
          >
          > Details:
          > The motor is a high-torque DC motor that drives gears that drive a piston
          > in a pump assembly. So it's doing a fair amount of work, but only pumps
          > in < 10 second "bursts" at varying intervals (sometimes seconds apart,
          > sometimes minutes/couple hours). The system's never "up" for more than
          > several hours (used or not)
          >
          > Power source is a NiCd (or NiMH) battery of either 8.4V or 9.6V. Power is
          > applied direct to the motor, so the pump runs at around 800-1000 rpm
          > (give or take) or so depending on the juice left in the battery, etc.
          >
          > I want to drive the motor from the same battery but with an embedded PWM
          > controller so that the whole pump assembly runs instead at something like
          > 500-600rpm or so (depending on the PWM chosen of course). The speed is
          > not critical by any means. I just want the pump to wun with the same
          > "power" but lower speed/rpm.
          >
          > The pump assembly is sealed and changing the motor/gears is not an option.
          > I'd prefer also to keep this small.
          >
          > I was thinking of running a small oscillator (making the PWM signal)
          > feeding a motor driver chip of some kind fed by the main battery. So the
          > motor driver is always "ON" and the switch that originally connected the
          > battery to the motor now connects the motor to the motor driver outputs.
          > So the same "switch" to turn everything on is still there - it just now
          > connects the motor to the always-on PWM/Motor Driver output instead of
          > direct to the battery like it did originally.
          >
          > I'm not worried about the driver using power by being always on, but I
          > don't want to overly compromise the power to the motor or the overall
          > runtime of the system (compared to the power/runtime of connecting a
          > motor direct to the battery). I just want the whole thing to run
          > *slower*.
          >
          > Can anyone suggest something that will fit the bill? Or should I
          > take a different approach? Thanks!
          >
          > Don Papp
          > http://AEinnovations.com
          > GNUPG/PGP Key: http://AEinnovations.com/downloads/pubkey.html

        • Don Papp
          • arjun pany
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2003
              hi everyone,
              I have a doubt regarding interfacing the ICL 7667
              mosfet driver chip with a STP80NE06 mosfet (it's
              capable of upto 80A drain current continuously).
              Is it OK for me to just give the logic output to one
              of the input pins of the ICL7667 and then take the
              inverted output and give it to the MOSFET gate or do i
              need some interfacing electronics in between them.
              i can take care of the signal inversion in the
              software itself. i tried this system before, but for
              some reason it didnt work properly, so i was wondering
              whether i needed some additional electronics for the
              slew rates i was working at (20 KHz pwm frequency).
              other than that, can someone tell me what the basic
              considerations are when designing your own mosfet
              driver from discrete parts. is a simple transistor
              amplifier enuff, with a flyback diode...
              iam a computer science engineer, so please excuse me
              if u find my electronics knowledge very minimal.
              thnx and regards,
              Arjun.

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • Larry Barello
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2003
                I would recommend you simply look at the data sheet. It has sample
                circuitry near the end.
                http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn2853.pdf

                What, precisely are you trying to do?

                > I have a doubt regarding interfacing the ICL 7667
                > mosfet driver chip with a STP80NE06 mosfet (it's
                > capable of upto 80A drain current continuously).
                > Is it OK for me to just give the logic output to one
                > of the input pins of the ICL7667 and then take the
                > inverted output and give it to the MOSFET gate or do i
                > need some interfacing electronics in between them.
                > i can take care of the sig
              • arjun pany
                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2003
                  yea..i think i'll try that circuitry out and hope my
                  thingee works..it's supposed to drive a 24.V 20 A DC
                  series motor which is fitted to the drive shaft of a
                  go-kart sized remote controlled car.
                  i think i jus shorted something somewhere, some of my
                  components r getting awfully heated up...mus be
                  something to do with my lousy soldering.
                  thnx neways..
                  regards,
                  arjun.

                  http://search.yahoo.com