Re: [SeattleRobotics] Working with flatted bores?

  • Rob Purdy
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2003
      SKU: #681696 at Homedepot. Found it on line at homedepot.com

      >From: Tom Capon <robot@...>
      >To: "Jack Buffington" <j1432@...>,SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [SeattleRobotics] Working with flatted bores?
      >Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 16:18:50 -0500
      >
      >just wondering, does anybody make anything like a drill press stand for a
      >dremmel tool? or have they not gone that far yet?
      >
      >At 08:11 PM 3/4/2003 +0000, Jack Buffington wrote:
      >

      > >Or for an even faster way, take a dremmel cutoff tool (the kind with
      >fiber
      > >reinforcement) and use it to create the flat. Most likely you won't have
      > >do more than hand hold the shaft. I have done this on several occasions.
      > >The "flat" doesn't really have to be flat. Close is good enough.
      > >
      > >-Jack

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 6, 2003
        Gary,
        That's is why my bench grinder gets used alot. But with either a
        file or a grinder you must ensure that NO metal filings get into the motor.
        If you don't it goes without saying that the motor will soon be junk.
        Ron

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 6, 2003
          Jack,
          I don't find it easy to do it that way; even with the fiber
          reinforced disks. Just remember to have a dozen or so of them around for
          the job. And of course the safety glasses.
          Ron

          > Or for an even faster way, take a dremmel cutoff tool (the kind with fiber
          > reinforcement) and use it to create the flat. Most likely you won't have
          > do more than hand hold the shaft. I have done this on several occasions.
          > The "flat" doesn't really have to be flat. Close is good enough.
          >
          > -Jack

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 6, 2003
            Tom,
            Yes, as a matter of fact the Dremel company sells has them. I
            forget what they go for now. A friend of mine used to have one before he
            got out of the model train hobby.
            Ron