More on R/C Rover Project

  • chris vancil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2003
      Hi Everyone,

      Still hacking R/C toys to build two Radio Controlled
      Rovers to use in a "Mars Sandbox" at the Mars Society
      Convention in Eugene Oregon this summer.

      Originally I was looking for cheap tanks...non around
      for a reasonably price and that are also Radio
      Controlled. So I bought two TYCO Air Rebounds (27 MHz
      and 49 MHz)from Walmart ($10 and $15 US each on
      clearance).

      ttp://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=4199&dept=4171&product_id=1956800&path=0%3A4171%3A4199%3A4200%3A78166

      There are some desirable features to this little
      tricycle stunt cars for my use. The stall current on
      these unit's motors is in excess of 10 amps (pegged
      the meter) and they have the duel motors control like
      a tank.

      I plan to use six wheels total on each rover. Thus
      three smaller gearhead motors to each side of the
      rover. These geared motors have a stall current ~1
      amp each (I actually was unable to stall one to get an
      exact reading, BTW). They come from All Electronic:
      http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=DCM-110&type=store

      Had to cut out the control circuit as I want the
      motors to run both directions. Left the circuit board
      in place as it is part of the body of the gearbox and
      added 0.1 uf 50 VDC ceramic caps across the motor
      terminals while adding long leads. I wonder if I
      shouldn't also put a cap from each terminal to the
      motor case. I've heard this also will reduce RFI.
      Finally on the new motors I added another gear to
      output to a shaft and thus the wheel. Bought these
      gears in a bag from a model shop (Abernathy's
      Northwest Hobbies http://www.nwhobbies.com/)in
      Bellevue Washington.

      Has anyone done an autopsy on these Air Rebound units
      or generated a schematic? All I've done so far is
      note they use 2SC3420s and 2SA1357s in the 2
      H-Bridges...

      --Chris Vancil

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/