Microbot Motors Power Question

  • Jason Travis
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2003
      Hello group;

      Im hoping someone can give me some basic
      answers/direction for my project idea:

      I bought 2 5 VDC mini motors that both have high
      torque. Im assuming they came out of a portable
      computer drive but don't know for sure. My hopes is
      to add them to a base and make a microrobot, in the
      "ant" style. I'm trying to make everything as small as
      possible, and light as possible in keeping with an ant
      robot specs. With that said batterys are being
      particularly difficult. Heres my questions;
      should I use a 9 volt and try to step up the voltage
      to cover both motors? Should I try to use AAA's in
      combination to achieve the proper voltage? Or maybe
      some kind of other battery like from a scrapped cell
      phone, thats smaller and lighter but greater voltage?
      The other idea that occurred to me is maybe I don't
      need to use voltage up to the rated voltage of the
      motors? Wouldn't that slow down the revolutions of
      the motors anyways? Your help is appreciated.

      Jason Travis
      Robo-Jock

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/