Building R/C Rover

  • chris vancil
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 29, 2003
      Hi Everyone,

      Well, the response to my query wasn't overwhelming.
      Still a few people seem to be building rovers that
      could run in a Mars Sandbox, some time in the future
      (not now) and thank you folks for your feedback.

      But,I need at least a couple rovers now...so I'm
      looking for a cheap R/C Tank or ATV that I can hack
      into rovers. Any suggestions where to pick up
      something under $30 US? I have several wireless
      cameras already and will simply recreate a simplified
      Sojourner like box with 6 wheels rocker-bogie
      suspension and 4 motors one at each corner wheel. The
      tank seems the easiest to hack into such a machine...

      Thanks,
      --Chris Vancil

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Rob Purdy
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 29, 2003
        The only thing you're likely to find in that price range is one of the
        battle bot toys. Some had treads but I think they're a bit small for what
        you want.They're being closed out so it's hit and miss.

        GL> Rob...

        >From: chris vancil <clvancil@...>
        >To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [SeattleRobotics] Building R/C Rover
        >Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:52:14 -0800 (PST)
        >
        >Hi Everyone,
        >
        >Well, the response to my query wasn't overwhelming.
        >Still a few people seem to be building rovers that
        >could run in a Mars Sandbox, some time in the future
        >(not now) and thank you folks for your feedback.
        >
        >But,I need at least a couple rovers now...so I'm
        >looking for a cheap R/C Tank or ATV that I can hack
        >into rovers. Any suggestions where to pick up
        >something under $30 US? I have several wireless
        >cameras already and will simply recreate a simplified
        >Sojourner like box with 6 wheels rocker-bogie
        >suspension and 4 motors one at each corner wheel. The
        >tank seems the easiest to hack into such a machine...
        >
        >Thanks,
        >--Chris Vancil

      • David P. Anderson
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 29, 2003
          Hi

          Used R/C cars and trucks can be had at garage sales in
          the price range you are looking for, or even had for
          free from time to time. Our R/C rover was built this
          way. Not exactly what you are looking for but maybe a
          good start:

          http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robo/camcar/index.html

          regards,
          dpa
        • larrwill202wl <larrwill202wl@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 30, 2003
            Toys-R-Us has an r/c excavator with tank treads that hacks well, for
            $19.97.

            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, chris vancil <clvancil@y...>

          • dan michaels <dan@oricomtech.com>
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 30, 2003
              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David P. Anderson"
              <dpa@i...> wrote:
              > Hi
              >
              > Used R/C cars and trucks can be had at garage sales in
              > the price range you are looking for, or even had for
              > free from time to time. Our R/C rover was built this
              > way. Not exactly what you are looking for but maybe a
              > good start:
              >
              > http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robo/camcar/index.html
              >

              > regards,
              > dpa

              So, looking at the base, it would appear that your goal was to build
              for speed, and conduct contests to see who has the best reflexes ????

              - dan michaels
              www.oricomtech.com
              ===========================
            • David P. Anderson
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 30, 2003
                Howdy,

                In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "dan michaels" wrote:

                > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David P. Anderson"
                > <dpa@i...> wrote:
                > > Hi
                > >
                > > Used R/C cars and trucks can be had at garage sales in
                > > the price range you are looking for, or even had for
                > > free from time to time. Our R/C rover was built this
                > > way. Not exactly what you are looking for but maybe a
                > > good start:
                > >
                > > http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robo/camcar/index.html
                > >

                > > regards,
                > > dpa
                >

                > So, looking at the base, it would appear that your goal was to build
                > for speed, and conduct contests to see who has the best reflexes ????

                Hmmm... well, "goal" is probably a more elevated term than our sporadic
                efforts deserve. We actually geared the base down as much as we could
                and put on the smallest wheels we could find in an effort to reduce the
                speed to make it more controllable indoors. Our original use of the
                remotely piloted vehicle was to sneak around the Heroy Science Building
                in the wee hours and push trash cans down the stairs (what can I say?).

                http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robo/camcar/camcar_short.mpg

                Racing only occurred to us later.

                best regards,
                dpa
              • Jeff Koenig
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 30, 2003
                  dpa wrote:

                  >Our original use of the remotely piloted vehicle was to sneak around the
                  Heroy Science Building in the wee hours and push trash cans down the stairs
                  (what can I say?).

                  If that isn't a noble goal, nothing is.

                  -Jeff Koenig
                  DPRG President
                • dan michaels <dan@oricomtech.com>
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 30, 2003
                    <dpa@i...> wrote:
                    > Howdy,
                    > > So, looking at the base, it would appear that your goal was to
                    build for speed, and conduct contests to see who has the best
                    reflexes ????

                    > Hmmm... well, "goal" is probably a more elevated term than our
                    sporadic> efforts deserve. We actually geared the base down as much
                    as we could> and put on the smallest wheels we could find in an
                    effort to reduce the> speed to make it more controllable indoors.
                    Our original use of the> remotely piloted vehicle was to sneak around
                    the Heroy Science Building> in the wee hours and push trash cans down
                    the stairs (what can I say?).

                    Well, this is/was a noble design after all. By selecting a fast
                    platform to start, you have something to nobly carry your expensive
                    video cam RF system down the stairs along with the trash can - unless
                    your after hours reflexes are better than your daytime ones. ;-)

                    [whenever I get around to telepresence, I'm definitely gonna use a
                    very slow platform].

                    morituri salutante,
                    - dan
                    =====================
                  • David P. Anderson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 30, 2003
                      Howdy

                      Concerning the pushing of trash cans down the stairs
                      by mischievous remotely piloted robots, Jeff wrote:

                      >If that isn't a noble goal, nothing is.

                      a clear tribute to our near-criminal lack of higher ambitions,

                      and dan replied:

                      >Well, this is/was a noble design after all. By selecting a fast
                      >platform to start, you have something to nobly carry your expensive
                      >video cam RF system down the stairs along with the trash can - unless
                      >your after hours reflexes are better than your daytime ones. ;-)

                      The cart can actually move quite slowly (though it does take a vigorous
                      punch to get the trash cans moving).

                      If you check out the video you can see the 2-axis camera head tilting
                      down and panning sideways repeatedly to gage the exact position of the
                      wheels as the rover creeps up to the edge of the steps. Just in case...

                      >morituri salutante,

                      Che stanno circa per cadere le scale li salutiamo
                      dpa
                    • chris vancil
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 30, 2003
                        Thanks,everyone for your help.I plan to remove the treads and turret, place the body of the tank in a light weight plastic box, move the two motors out to rocker-bogies arms, add larger (but very light wheels) and I might add two more motors to the front wheels of the six. I would possibly follow the design used on the Mattel toy rover with extra attachments of the rocker-bogies (On Sojourner there is only one point of attachment of the rocker-bogie on each side of the body).If I have to I can use relays instead of the original motors and "upgrade" to something beefier. This is if the wheels began to mass to much for the existing motors...I'm only building these two rovers to sell the idea to the committee working on the Mars Society Convention. Spending anything over a couple hundred dollars seems imprudent.With all your help I found this URL... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000067PHK/ref=pd_sim_toys_1//002-9154940-6028022?v=glance&s=toysThanks,--Chris Vancil--- Rob Purdy wrote:> The only thing you're likely to find in that price> range is one of the > battle bot toys. Some had treads but I think> they're a bit small for what > you want.They're being closed out so it's hit and> miss.> > GL> Rob...> > >From: chris vancil > >To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com> >Subject: [SeattleRobotics] Building R/C Rover> >Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:52:14 -0800 (PST)> >> >Hi Everyone,> >> >Well, the response to my query wasn't overwhelming.> >Still a few people seem to be building rovers that> >could run in a Mars Sandbox, some time in the> future> >(not now) and thank you folks for your feedback.> >> >But,I need at least a couple rovers now...so I'm> >looking for a cheap R/C Tank or ATV that I can hack> >into rovers. Any suggestions where to pick up> >something under $30 US? I have several wireless> >cameras already and will simply recreate a> simplified> >Sojourner like box with 6 wheels rocker-bogie> >suspension and 4 motors one at each corner wheel. > The> >tank seems the easiest to hack into such a> machine...> >> >Thanks,> >--Chris Vancil

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 30, 2003
                          <dpa@i...> wrote:
                          > Howdy

                          > >morituri salutante,
                          >
                          > Che stanno circa per cadere le scale li salutiamo
                          > dpa

                          Ratz, you always take everything as a challenge, don't ya.

                          EI INCUMBIT PROBATIO, QUI DICIT, NON QUI NEGAT; CUM PER RERUM NATURAM
                          FACTUM NEGANTIS PROBATIO NULLA SIT.

                          or maybe

                          IN AMBIGUO SERMONE NON UTRUMQUE DICIMUS SED ID DUNTAXAT QUOD VOLUMUS.

                          or better yet

                          LEGES NATURAE PERFECTISSIMAE SUNT ET IMMUTABILES; HUMANI VERO JURIS
                          CONDITIO SEMPER IN INFINITUM DECURRIT, ET NIHIL EST IN EO QUOD
                          PERPETUO STARE POSSIT. LEGES HUMANAE NASCUNTUR, VIVUNT, MORIUNTUR.
                        • David P. Anderson
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 31, 2003
                            Howdy

                            In seattlerobotics@yahoogroups.com "chris vancil" wrote:

                            > I would possibly follow the design used
                            > on the Mattel toy rover with extra attachments of
                            > the rocker-bogies (On Sojourner there is only one point
                            > of attachment of the rocker-bogie on each
                            > side of the body)

                            Cool.

                            The 6 wheeled rocker-bogie design used by JPL for the Mars pathfinder
                            robot addresses two problems which may or may not be relevant to your
                            simulation, and which I believe the Mattel toy,

                            http://techtransfer.jpl.nasa.gov/successstories/education/mars-rover.html

                            does not address. One is the ability to turn in place, zero turning radius,
                            made possible by canting the corner wheels toward each other such that they
                            lie on the perimeter of the turning circle, and the second is the ability
                            to keep equal weight distributed on all 6 wheels as the vehicle traverses
                            uneven terrain:

                            http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/rover/mobility.html

                            This second requirement necessitates that the vehicle move very slowly,
                            literally feet per hour, although there has been some work on hi-speed
                            terrain traversing with the rocker-bogie design:

                            http://www.kipr.org/papers/robotics02.pdf

                            but I believe that the attachment scheme used by Mattel does not provide
                            this weight distribution mechanism. It only "looks" the same, which is
                            fine for a toy intended to fire the imaginations of future planetary
                            scientists and engineers.

                            However, for an earth-bound mars explorer simulation in a local sandbox, you
                            might find that a more traditional treaded vehicle is a better approximation
                            of what you're after. NASA/JPL rejected the treaded designs because of energy
                            consumption, friction, and de-treading problems, especially on rough surfaces
                            like lava flows and so forth:

                            http://www.quest.arc.nasa.gov/mars/ask/about-rover/Tires_instead_of_tracks_on_rover.txt

                            and for most hobbyists treads cause problems for indoor robots that tend to get
                            tangled in loose carpets and throw rugs. For outdoor use where there is sufficient
                            power (i.e., military and construction vehicles) treads are hard to beat, given
                            the same zero turning radius and a sort of built-in weight distribution scheme.

                            Bottom line is, if you want a vehicle that just looks like the mars rover then
                            the Mattel scheme is fine. Otherwise you might be better off with a simpler
                            conventional tank-tread style vehicle. Certainly easier to build and maintain.

                            dan gotta-have-the-last-word michaels <grin> wrote:

                            > Ratz, you always take everything as a challenge, don't ya

                            Nope.

                            best regards,
                            dpa
                          • dan michaels <dan@oricomtech.com>
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 31, 2003
                              <dpa@i...> wrote:

                              > simulation, and which I believe the Mattel toy,
                              >
                              > http://techtransfer.jpl.nasa.gov/successstories/education/mars-
                              rover.html

                              For rough terrain, there is also the Marsokhod design:

                              http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/lfm/background/marsokhod.html
                              http://www.jason.org/expeditions/jason6/marsokhod/
                              http://www.lpi.usra.edu/publications/newsletters/lpib/lpib75/bull4.htm
                              =======================

                              > In seattlerobotics@yahoogroups.com
                              > dan gotta-have-the-last-word michaels <grin> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Ratz, you always take everything as a challenge, don't ya
                              >
                              > Nope.

                              Nope.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 2 8:15 AM
                                --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "dan michaels <dan@o...>"
                                <dan@o...> wrote:
                                > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David P. Anderson"
                                > <dpa@i...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > simulation, and which I believe the Mattel toy,
                                > >
                                > > http://techtransfer.jpl.nasa.gov/successstories/education/mars-
                                > rover.html
                                > >

                                > For rough terrain, there is also the Marsokhod design:
                                >
                                > http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/lfm/background/marsokhod.html
                                > http://www.jason.org/expeditions/jason6/marsokhod/

                                http://www.lpi.usra.edu/publications/newsletters/lpib/lpib75/bull4.htm
                                > =======================

                                I'm making two of these things so making one look a bit like the
                                Marsokhod was sort of in the plans.

                                Thanks for the info on it. Does anyone have a detailed description
                                of the design itself. The Marsokhod seems to have two points with
                                ball joints (>o<)and all 6 wheels are powered.

                                ------ ------- -------
                                | |>o<| |>o<| |
                                (O) (O) (O)
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

                                --Chris Vancil
                              • chris vancil
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 2 11:11 AM
                                  While at SRS' yahoogroups I wrote the message I'm
                                  replying to...using my own account. How come it says
                                  Dan wrote it???

                                  --Chris Vancil

                                  --- "dan michaels <dan@...>"

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 2 11:59 AM
                                    wrote:
                                    > While at SRS' yahoogroups I wrote the message I'm
                                    > replying to...using my own account. How come it says
                                    > Dan wrote it???
                                    >
                                    > --Chris Vancil

                                    Chris, I reposted it to the group after I received it directly.

                                    Check the "To:" box on top of the screen - in this particular group,
                                    it defaults your reply to the guy whose msg you are responding to,
                                    not to the group itself. I send to the wrong places about 80% of the
                                    time.

                                    - dan
                                    ================

                                    > --- "dan michaels <dan@o...>"
                                    > <dan@o...> wrote:
                                    > > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "dan
                                    > > michaels <dan@o...>"
                                    > > <dan@o...> wrote:
                                    > > > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David P.
                                    > > Anderson"

                                    > http://techtransfer.jpl.nasa.gov/successstories/education/mars-
                                    > > > rover.html
                                    > > > >

                                    > > > For rough terrain, there is also the Marsokhod
                                    > > design:
                                    > > >

                                    > http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/lfm/background/marsokhod.html
                                    > > > http://www.jason.org/expeditions/jason6/marsokhod/

                                    http://www.lpi.usra.edu/publications/newsletters/lpib/lpib75/bull4.htm
                                    > > > =======================
                                    > > >

                                    > > I'm making two of these things so making one look a
                                    > > bit like the
                                    > > Marsokhod was sort of in the plans.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks for the info on it. Does anyone have a
                                    > > detailed description
                                    > > of the design itself. The Marsokhod seems to have
                                    > > two points with
                                    > > ball joints (>o<)and all 6 wheels are powered.
                                    > >
                                    > > ------ ------- -------
                                    > > | |>o<| |>o<| |
                                    > >
                                    > > --Chris Vancil

                                    > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                  • Tom Capon
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 2 12:12 PM
                                      Eudora at least has a "Reply All" button that sends it to all the
                                      recipients, which in this case sends one copy to the original author and
                                      one copy to the group. i just delete the individual recipient so it goes
                                      to the whole group