Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Power Supply Tricks?

  • Kipton Moravec
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2003
      I have one last thing for you to try. On the power supply to the
      microcontroller put a diode between the battery and the big capacitor on the
      input of that one power supply.

      If the motor is sucking up too much current, the capacitor will hold the
      voltage up for the processor since it will not be able to discharge because
      of the diode. Of course this assumes you have the head room for the .6 V
      diode.

      Finally another kluge you can try. Assuming you have at least 12V for your
      5V regulator, Put a diode between your main batteries and the input
      capacitor for the 5V regulator (as above). In parallel put a 9V transistor
      battery with a diode to the same input capacitor for the 5 V regulator
      capacitor. If the input voltage falls below about 8.4V, the 9V battery
      kicks in for the 50ms or so until the 12V battery recovers.

      Kip

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 7, 2003
        Hi Kip,

        Thanks for your reply. I _do_ have the headroom for the drop, and
        tried your idea.
        There was some improvement over some other approaches (namely, not
        all the PICs reset), but the bx24s unfortunately still restarted.

        Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town (and out of email) for
        a few days.

        Now to all others who had responded:
        Thanks for the assistance, with these tips my next supply will be
        more robust. Fido still operates fine so far, so luckily headway is
        not impeded with this phenomena. The easiest--but for now
        unfortunately also a sort of "give-up" way--is to add another
        switching regulator at the same voltage as the motors; using a
        standard seperate regulator seemed to cure the problem.
        So this is the way I'll go.

        [Of course any suggestions are still welcome.]

        Thanks for the help,
        Paul

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Kipton Moravec" <kip@k...>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/