Re: C compiler efficiency with AVRs

  • bsd512 <bsd@bdmicro.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2002
      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "tedinoue <ted@s...>"
      <ted@s...> wrote:
      > I'm currently using a combination of Scenix/Ubicom processors for
      > the low level, high speed stuff and a Rabbit2000 for the C
      > programmed, floating point and high level logic control but I'm
      > interested in getting people's feedback on the effeciency of the C
      > compilers available for the AVRs.

      I've been very pleased with the quality of AVR-GCC, a port of the
      popular open source GNU C compiler for the AVR target. The port is
      being actively maintained, and has a reasonably complete libc. Take a
      look at http://www.avrfreaks.net/ to pick up a reasonably recent
      build.

      > I'm
      > looking at using the AVR with C because I'd like to increase my
      > programming efficiency for higher level operations that need more
      > RAM / ROM space - command parsing state machine, floating point
      > conversions for numeric displays etc. I'm using the Rabbit for this
      > now, but I could replace it with the AVR for these applications
      > which would reduce costs and potentially increase performance.

      I recently made a board based on the ATmega128 (see
      http://www.bdmicro.com/ for more info - I made extra boards to keep
      the per-board costs down, and offer the rest for sale there). With
      128K of flash program space and 64K of RAM, it's very much like
      programming a much larger computer. The libc even contains familiar
      printf() and most other common standard C libary functions, and with
      the large memory space of the ATmega128, you can even use them! Oh, I
      recently wrote an application using double precision floating point,
      and it worked fine, just as expected, no surprises.

      > Also, how much luck will I have getting RS-232 plus multi-master
      I2C
      > running on an AVR?

      Very good luck - see my board on my web site :-), dual RS232, on board
      I2C serial eeprom, I2C real time clock, etc.

      The ATmega128 directly supports I2C and is very simple to use, all
      explained in the datasheet available from Atmel.

      Cheers,
      -Brian
      --
      Brian Dean