Re: [SeattleRobotics] Phase separation for Quadrature Encoding

  • Jeffrey T. Birt
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
      Another option is to make a split phase (same number of lines\slots 90 deg
      apart)encoder wheel and then place you two sensors 180 deg. apart. One
      looking at the first phase of the wheel the other looking at the second
      phase. You can then use any resolution of wheel and always have 90 deg..
      separation.

      Jeff Birt
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
        The reason I want the direction encoder is because my robot does have
        momentum. The quadrature encode will allow me to know any movement. Also,
        the motors doesn't necessarily "lock" the wheels.

        Terry Schumacher
        Senior Consultant
        Dynamic Information Systems
        http://www.dynamic-info.com
        mailto:TLSchumacher@...
        P 763-593-5000 ext.125
        F 763-593-5081
        Dynamic Information Systems is a preeminent consulting organization
        focused on the delivery of exciting and sophisticated e-business solutions.

        Maybe off subject, but why do you need more than one sensor if you
        control the direction of the motors? Two sensors allows you detect
        direction of movement and speed of movement, but if you control the
        motors, all you need it speed of movement. Right?

        --- In SeattleRobotics@y..., Terry Schumacher <tlschumacher@d...>
        wrote:
        > I've read a number of places that for quadrature encoding, you
        want the two
        > inputs to be 90 degrees out of phase.
        >
        > My question is, how important is the value of 90? Is it more
        important that
        > the two signals be out of phase with each other.
        >
        > I have a slotted wheel on my motor. It currently has a single
        sensor. I'd
        > like to move it one direction and place an identical one next to
        it. It
        > would be hard to get it adjusted to exactly 90 degrees out of
        phase.

        > I'd sure appreciate if someone could help clear this up for me.
        >
        > Thanks.

        > Terry Schumacher
        > Senior Consultant
        > Dynamic Information Systems
        > http://www.dynamic-info.com
        > mailto:TLSchumacher@d...
        > P 763-593-5000 ext.125
        > F 763-593-5081
        > Dynamic Information Systems is a preeminent consulting
        organization
        > focused on the delivery of exciting and sophisticated e-business
        solutions.
      • Kipton Moravec
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
          The other reason is that you can have a hardware counter keeping track of
          the pulses and it can increment and decrement with the actual wheel
          movement. It also is less work for the controller for HW to do it
          especially if you have a lot of pulses.

          Kip