RE: [SeattleRobotics] Determine the steering angle of mobile robot

  • David Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2002
      > Or, do you know another method to determine the steering angle??

      I've done this before using a simple potentiometer. Worked well, IIRC.

      David Smith
    • John Edwards
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
        David,

        Thank you for the congrats.

        That is a very nice looking robot you are building. You must be a machinist
        also. As far as the mounting of your D12's, I believe you are going to have
        a problem with the reflections if your base is constructed of a shiny
        material (plexiglas). One remedy I have used in the past is to cover the
        shiny material above and below the D12 sensor with flat black self stick
        paper to help cut down on reflections but the best method is to allow more
        room. My advice is to build a little mockup with a D12 sensor in it and do
        some testing.

        Good Luck,
        John Edwards

        > John,
        > Congratulations on 1st place! I read with interest the suggestion of
        > leaving 1/4" above and below the sensor. How imperative is this? If you
        > look at my robot at:
        > http://www.familynet.net/smithfamily/robotics/teknion.html
        > you'll see in the bottom two pictures that I have mounted GP2D12 sensors
        > back-to-back in between the middle and top decks. Look for the 1/2"
        square
        > aluminum posts in the middle. The GP2D12's are butted up against the top.
        > Should I rip everything apart even before I've tested this arrangement?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > David Smith
      • Doug Leppard
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
          I would be interested in the results of a test like that.

          One thing I can tell you from my testing. At greater ranges if you have D12s pointing in the same direction they can give each other false readings. I was having false readings and couldn't figure out why. I covered the D12s except one that were pointing in same direction and the false readings went away. My final solution was for my forward looking D12 put in inside a fancy shield (an empty toilet paper role painted flat black). This stopped getting false readings but did lower the longer range which I didn't care about.

          Doug Leppard
          Doug.Leppard@...