Re: RE: [SeattleRobotics] HC12 board

  • Doug Kelley
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
      Kevin Ross also has some options:

      http://www.kevinro.com/products.html

      Doug

      DLeppard@... writes:
      >I second what John said. Last two years winners of the senior division Fire
      >Fighting contest have been these boards.
      >
      >Doug Leppard
      >Doug.Leppard@...

    • Roger Korus
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
        Thanks for the link, They've got some neat boards (which I'm not
        leaning towards)

        But I've also got a question about the flash memory on an HC12.. How
        many write cycles can it endure, specifically for the new 256kb flash
        versions of the hc12... The motorola website has some brochures
        claiming 10,000k+ minimum write cycles. Conversly I've heard some
        sparse complaints here and there that they can only be re-written
        about 100 times..

        ~Roger

        --- In SeattleRobotics@y..., "John Edwards" <botbuilder@c...> wrote:
        > Roger,
        >
        > The board I use and really like is the Adapt912 made by
        Technological Arts.
        > http://www.technologicalarts.com/myfiles/ad12.html
        > They are reasonably priced and the company provides excelent
        service.

        > John Edwards
        >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I'm looking at getting started with the HC12, and am looking for a
        > > good carrier board. The Card12 (
        > > http://www.elektronikladen.de/en_card12.html ) seems to be a nice
        > > little board. Has anybody used it?
        > >
        > > Does anybody have any other similar boards to recommend?
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >
        > > ~Roger
      • Kevin Ross
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
          > Thanks for the link, They've got some neat boards (which I'm not
          > leaning towards)
          >
          > But I've also got a question about the flash memory on an HC12.. How
          > many write cycles can it endure, specifically for the new 256kb flash
          > versions of the hc12... The motorola website has some brochures
          > claiming 10,000k+ minimum write cycles. Conversly I've heard some
          > sparse complaints here and there that they can only be re-written
          > about 100 times..

          Some of the early parts had 100 read/write cycles at high temperature which
          is around 100C. I have never heard of anyone wearing out an HC12 flash. Some
          of mine have well over 2500 flash cycles.

          Kevin
        • John Edwards
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
            Roger,

            I don't have the 256k flash version board yet (was planning on ordering one
            today) but I can testify to the Adapt912B32 boards that I have been working
            with. I have been working with one board for over a year now doing my code
            development on it and have reprogrammed the flash many thousands of times
            and have seen no change in the performance of the board. When the spec
            sheets mention a life cycle of so many thousands of rewrites that is a worst
            case scenario under the most adverse conditions and usually under normal use
            one will get many times the rewrite cycles stated in the specs.

            John Edwards

          • bmajik5127@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
              Kevin,
              unless you have a program that updates or writes to the flash constantly,
              you probably will never use up all its re-write cycles.
              It will usually withstand much much more downloads than specified.
              -Mike

            • Larry Barello
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
                As a data point, the AVR processors are specified for a 1000 cycle minimum
                on the FLASH. Someone decided to find out just how long they last, but gave
                up at about 12000 cycles (the tester got bored). Five years after
                publishing the original spec's Atmel admits that the real cycle live is at
                least 10x the specified and likely much longer.

                At room temperature and normal voltages mature FLASH technologies are quite
                amazing. Apparently, for the AVR case, similar life cycle relaxations apply
                to the EEPROM as well.

                > I don't have the 256k flash version board yet (was planning on ordering
                one
                > today) but I can testify to the Adapt912B32 boards that I have been
                working
                > with. I have been working with one board for over a year now doing my code
                > development on it and have reprogrammed the flash many thousands of times
                > and have seen no change in the performance of the board. When the spec
                > sheets mention a life cycle of so many thousands of rewrites that is a
                worst
                > case scenario under the most adverse conditions and usually under normal
                use
                > one will get many times the rewrite cycles stated in the specs.
                >
                > John Edwards
                >
                > > Thanks for the link, They've got some neat boards (which I'm not
                > > leaning towards)
                > >
                > > But I've also got a question about the flash memory on an HC12.. How
                > > many write cycles can it endure, specifically for the new 256kb flash
                > > versions of the hc12... The motorola website has some brochures
                > > claiming 10,000k+ minimum write cycles. Conversly I've heard some
                > > sparse complaints here and there that they can only be re-written
                > > about 100 times..
                > >
                > > ~Roger

              • David Smith
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
                  Has anybody been using the new HCS12 microcontroller from Motorola?
                  Technologic Arts has a new microcontroller module using this HCS12. It has
                  more flash, RAM, and EEPROM than the regular HC12, plus it has an I2C
                  interface.
                  http://www.technologicalarts.com/myfiles/AD9S12DP256.html

                  I'm just curious, as I'm more than happy with the MiniRoboMind (MRM). I
                  need the quadrature decoders provided by the 68332's TPU.

                  David Smith

                • Rien Matthijsse
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
                    David,

                    I can supply you with FQD code, using my deviation of the motorobots
                    lib.
                    Drop me an email if you are interested.

                    Rien

                    PS I also have UART (TX/RX), PTA, QOM and MCPWM functions running on the
                    MRM

                  • Bob Dyer
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
                      I'm looking at this board too, but primarily because it runs at 24MHz.

                      Consider Carefully... Act Boldly!