RE: [SeattleRobotics] HC12 board

  • Doug Leppard
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
      I second what John said. Last two years winners of the senior division Fire Fighting contest have been these boards.

      Doug Leppard
      Doug.Leppard@...

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
        Kevin Ross also has some options:

        http://www.kevinro.com/products.html

        Doug

        DLeppard@... writes:
        >I second what John said. Last two years winners of the senior division Fire
        >Fighting contest have been these boards.
        >
        >Doug Leppard
        >Doug.Leppard@...

      • Roger Korus
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
          Thanks for the link, They've got some neat boards (which I'm not
          leaning towards)

          But I've also got a question about the flash memory on an HC12.. How
          many write cycles can it endure, specifically for the new 256kb flash
          versions of the hc12... The motorola website has some brochures
          claiming 10,000k+ minimum write cycles. Conversly I've heard some
          sparse complaints here and there that they can only be re-written
          about 100 times..

          ~Roger

          --- In SeattleRobotics@y..., "John Edwards" <botbuilder@c...> wrote:
          > Roger,
          >
          > The board I use and really like is the Adapt912 made by
          Technological Arts.
          > http://www.technologicalarts.com/myfiles/ad12.html
          > They are reasonably priced and the company provides excelent
          service.

          > John Edwards
          >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I'm looking at getting started with the HC12, and am looking for a
          > > good carrier board. The Card12 (
          > > http://www.elektronikladen.de/en_card12.html ) seems to be a nice
          > > little board. Has anybody used it?
          > >
          > > Does anybody have any other similar boards to recommend?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > ~Roger
        • Kevin Ross
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
            > Thanks for the link, They've got some neat boards (which I'm not
            > leaning towards)
            >
            > But I've also got a question about the flash memory on an HC12.. How
            > many write cycles can it endure, specifically for the new 256kb flash
            > versions of the hc12... The motorola website has some brochures
            > claiming 10,000k+ minimum write cycles. Conversly I've heard some
            > sparse complaints here and there that they can only be re-written
            > about 100 times..

            Some of the early parts had 100 read/write cycles at high temperature which
            is around 100C. I have never heard of anyone wearing out an HC12 flash. Some
            of mine have well over 2500 flash cycles.

            Kevin
          • John Edwards
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
              Roger,

              I don't have the 256k flash version board yet (was planning on ordering one
              today) but I can testify to the Adapt912B32 boards that I have been working
              with. I have been working with one board for over a year now doing my code
              development on it and have reprogrammed the flash many thousands of times
              and have seen no change in the performance of the board. When the spec
              sheets mention a life cycle of so many thousands of rewrites that is a worst
              case scenario under the most adverse conditions and usually under normal use
              one will get many times the rewrite cycles stated in the specs.

              John Edwards

            • bmajik5127@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
                Kevin,
                unless you have a program that updates or writes to the flash constantly,
                you probably will never use up all its re-write cycles.
                It will usually withstand much much more downloads than specified.
                -Mike

              • Larry Barello
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
                  As a data point, the AVR processors are specified for a 1000 cycle minimum
                  on the FLASH. Someone decided to find out just how long they last, but gave
                  up at about 12000 cycles (the tester got bored). Five years after
                  publishing the original spec's Atmel admits that the real cycle live is at
                  least 10x the specified and likely much longer.

                  At room temperature and normal voltages mature FLASH technologies are quite
                  amazing. Apparently, for the AVR case, similar life cycle relaxations apply
                  to the EEPROM as well.

                  > I don't have the 256k flash version board yet (was planning on ordering
                  one
                  > today) but I can testify to the Adapt912B32 boards that I have been
                  working
                  > with. I have been working with one board for over a year now doing my code
                  > development on it and have reprogrammed the flash many thousands of times
                  > and have seen no change in the performance of the board. When the spec
                  > sheets mention a life cycle of so many thousands of rewrites that is a
                  worst
                  > case scenario under the most adverse conditions and usually under normal
                  use
                  > one will get many times the rewrite cycles stated in the specs.
                  >
                  > John Edwards
                  >
                  > > Thanks for the link, They've got some neat boards (which I'm not
                  > > leaning towards)
                  > >
                  > > But I've also got a question about the flash memory on an HC12.. How
                  > > many write cycles can it endure, specifically for the new 256kb flash
                  > > versions of the hc12... The motorola website has some brochures
                  > > claiming 10,000k+ minimum write cycles. Conversly I've heard some
                  > > sparse complaints here and there that they can only be re-written
                  > > about 100 times..
                  > >
                  > > ~Roger

                • David Smith
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
                    Has anybody been using the new HCS12 microcontroller from Motorola?
                    Technologic Arts has a new microcontroller module using this HCS12. It has
                    more flash, RAM, and EEPROM than the regular HC12, plus it has an I2C
                    interface.
                    http://www.technologicalarts.com/myfiles/AD9S12DP256.html

                    I'm just curious, as I'm more than happy with the MiniRoboMind (MRM). I
                    need the quadrature decoders provided by the 68332's TPU.

                    David Smith

                  • Rien Matthijsse
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
                      David,

                      I can supply you with FQD code, using my deviation of the motorobots
                      lib.
                      Drop me an email if you are interested.

                      Rien

                      PS I also have UART (TX/RX), PTA, QOM and MCPWM functions running on the
                      MRM

                    • Bob Dyer
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
                        I'm looking at this board too, but primarily because it runs at 24MHz.

                        Consider Carefully... Act Boldly!