Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Robotic CD Organizer by KDS

  • Bryan E. Daniel
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      SRS,
      You're right Tom, the CD organizer is mainly a column of storage drawers
      that are opened by software control. Although it doesn't spin the CD's, I
      think it qualifies as a robot - a robotic storage device. Since it is a USB
      device, a number of them could be used together. It's too bad the case is
      not clear so the interesting mechanism is visible, but then I think car
      engine hoods and fenders should be clear too. Why make things mysterious?

      The in-store price at Totem Lake CompUSA was $99.98 (after rebates?) .
      http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=290903

      I would imagine that the drawers are opened by some sort of stepper motor
      operated latch release by drawer number. A keypad on the top of the
      organizer suggests that it has some kind of microcontroller inside. A column
      of 75 lighted buttons on the right side might allow manual pushbutton
      release of the drawers.

      http://kdsusa.com/product_detail.asp?prod=48

      Bryan E. Daniel