Lathe recommendations

  • Bob Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 9:51 PM
      I've had my eye on a metal lathe from Grizzly for quite a while. It's their
      9X19, G4000. It would fit well in my small home lab/shop. Unfortunately, it's
      been on backorder since at least July and there's no end in sight. I've seen the
      "equivalent" version from Harbor Freight, and I don't consider it to be
      equivalent at all, especially when I look at the accessories that come with each
      of them.

      I was looking in the Grizzly catalog at their next one up, the 11X26, G9972.
      It's $1,200 as opposed to the $800 for the smaller one (ouch!), but it is
      available. One thing I like about Grizzly is that I can save freight charges by
      driving up and getting it. (Besides, no freight truck could get up my driveway,
      so I'd have to pick it up at the freight terminal anyway.) Any thoughts on
      either of these lathes, or suitable substitutions? Also, I'm not too keen on
      used equipment because I don't know enough to evaluate its condition.

      Thanks.

      Bob