Looking for a specific robotics curriculum

  • Dan Miner
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2002
      I have volunteered to mentor/teach a robotics class at my
      children's school as an after school extra-curricular activity.
      (Two different groups: 4-5 grade & 6-8 grade)

      I'm asking your help to find something I read about someplace
      on the web about a curriculum developed by someone. I have not
      been able to find it by searching the web or my archived emails.

      The class has the children act out how a robot works by each of
      them being one component of the robot. For example, one of them
      acts as a proximity sensor on the front, another is the right
      wheel, another is the CPU, etc. The "CPU" child reads from a
      script on paper (the "program") and instructs the other children
      what to do. (Right motor forward 1 step, Left motor backwards
      1 step, etc.)

      If any of you know of a link to this, PLEASE let me know
      either on the list or directly to me. Thanks.
      I think this will be an excellent introduction for the
      first day of class.

      - Dan Miner
    • Dan Miner
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2002
        Someone sent me private email sending me to:

        http://www.kensrobots.com/

        which has a link to:

        http://users.aol.com/TheOrganicRobot/TheOrganicRobot.html

        That's what I was looking for. Worth a read
        if you're introducing robots to kids.

        - Dan

      • Bryan E. Daniel
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2002
          Hello SRS,
          NASA has educational presentation materials including posters and videotapes
          with activities recommendations for classroom grade level and some links
          that may be helpful.
          http://earth.nasa.gov/education/catalog/products.pdf

          Bryan E. Daniel