Re: [SeattleRobotics] Interfacing with memory

  • Mark Medonis
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2 6:41 PM
      Well, you can't attach just any MC68000 variant to ECC DIMM. You will need a
      memory unit, or pick one of the 68k based microcontrollers that has onboard
      DRAM control. The DragonBall series, for example, has on board DRAM
      controllers, those are the MC68xx328 series chips.

      If I remember, the MC68328 pages on Motorola's web site have app notes on
      interfacing DIMM's to the chip.

      Also, in the more advanced ColdFire line, the MCF5407 ColdFire uP (based on
      the 68k too) has an evaluation board with a DIMM socket. The schematic is
      available on the MCF5407 page.

      Mark Medonis

      > I want to attach a Motorola MC68000 variant to ECC DIMM memory. Who makes ECC
      > DIMM memory so I can get protocols and pinouts?

    • Kenneth Maxon
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 7:02 PM
        Check out the second to last project under the controllers section on my web
        page to see how I attacked the problem using external logic.
        http://www.users.uswest.net/~kmaxon/page/index.html
        The 5307 (coldfire derivatives) also has built in circuitry to support this.

        -Kenneth
        (Unit 3's in trouble and it's scared out of its wits) -Geddy Lee