Printed Circuit Boards - How?

  • dan riebs
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2002
      During the last 35 years I've
      seen lots of ways to make your
      own printed circuit boards.
      How are people doing it now?
      I'd prefer to draw the board
      on my computer and then
      somehow transfer the drawing
      to copper.
    • Steve Greenfield
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 18, 2002
        I started a Yahoo Group called Homebrew_PCBs.

        I went to some trouble to put links up to different
        methods. You are welcome to join. It is set to
        moderator approval just to slow down spammers, I
        normally get people signed on within 24 hours.

        I started out using laundry pens (yuck!), paint or
        electrical tape for large areas, and those rub-through
        transfer shapes and drafting tape. Then I started
        using photoresist, making the patterns by various
        methods onto film. Very nice boards but a lot of
        trouble. Now I'm trying to get the hang of using Eagle
        to layout the PCB and the laser toner transfer method.

        Steve Greenfield

        --- dan riebs <fester@...> wrote:
        > During the last 35 years I've
        > seen lots of ways to make your
        > own printed circuit boards.
        > How are people doing it now?
        > I'd prefer to draw the board
        > on my computer and then
        > somehow transfer the drawing
        > to copper.

        http://sports.yahoo.com
      • Hendra Asmady
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2002
          what program do u guys use on the computer? ive tried
          paint but it was tedious as i couldnt find a suitable
          program. any recommendations? thanks
        • Jeffrey T. Birt
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 19, 2002
            Here is a couple links. The first is for a good PCB cad program. You can
            download the LT version for free for personal and educational use. It takes
            a little effort to learn but is full featured. The second is for a company
            that sells PCB making supplies. They have alot of good info on their site.
            I bought one of their $20 starter kits (minus the etchant, buy that locally,
            saves a HUGE Haz-Mat shipping fee). I printed the negative artwork to
            transparency stock (from Wal-Mart) on my inkjet printer, exposed the boards
            with a $20 UV Blacklight (also from Wal-Mart). Great results.

            http://www.cadsoftusa.com/

            http://www.kepro.com

            Jeff Birt
            Halfway, Missouri