      Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 11:13 AM
      Subject: Re: [SeattleRobotics] FW: Mechanical marvel 240 years ago forerunner of computer!

      David

      > What I want to know is where did all the backlash go?

      If it were me, I'd have the spring that forces the cam-follower against the
      cam as close to the wrist as I could get it - so all the linkage rods are in
      compression all the time. But you're right: that probably wouldn't be quite
      enough. I reckon you can see the backlash in the drawings of the Jaquet-Droz
      machine but the Maillardet drawing of a ship is amazingly smooth.

      > I have thought about building a Japanese style archer

      What the world needs is rich dilettantes with more money than sense who
      commision that kind of work. Tim Hunkin's automata are wonderful but clearly
      done to a budget.

      > No I don't want an umbilical of any kind - wire or wireless - to my
      > robots, just some way to put in data as an when and for high level
      > commands.

      I was recommending Bluetooth via HC-05 for hobby work but I wouldn't trust
      them for anything professional. RN42 are more reliable but even so, you
      can't always guarantee a connection will be made instantly. I can imagine
      fitting a BT controller for your English National Ballet automaton - a
      stagehand operates it via their Android phone during a performance. But,
      five minutes before it's due to go on, they find that the BT connection has
      failed because the robot has decided to pair with a different phone in
      someone's pocket that they were using at rehearsals last week. We have that
      sort of problem all the time because we've got half a dozen systems paired
      to half a dozen phones and no-one can remember which one they're meant to be
      using so they just pick up a random phone and pair it. We have to go round
      switching things off to force the pairings we want. (The answer, of course,
      it to be more disciplined but we never seem to achieve that.)

      If you want a reliable connection, you can't beat a piece of wire.