      From: KM6VV <KM6VV@...>
      To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, February 1, 2013 4:47 PM
      Subject: Re: [SeattleRobotics] Engineering problem for discussion

      Should be easy enough to do. Use a 10K pot or so. Plenty of "demo"
      programs on the web illustrating how to interface pot (analog input) and
      a standard servo motor to an Arduino UNO board. Probably want to scale
      the pot data to the range wanted on the servo.

      Alan KM6VV

      On 2/1/2013 2:34 PM, hesperion22 wrote:

      > Dear Group,
      >
      > I am an admitted Newbie so please don't laugh. If any members could take
      > an interest in advising me it would be greatly appreciated. I am trying
      > to accomplish a certain engineering solution. It strikes me that your
      > field of expertise may be precisely the ticket. I have been quite
      > enjoying your discussions from the "outside".
      >
      > _Background:_ We are a pipe organ restoration and building firm. As such
      > we work with a wide range of situations and utilize equipment of a wide
      > range of ages, from very old components to newer. One of the challenges
      > we often face will require some explanation so that you might understand
      > my inquiry better:
      >
      > An organist seated at the console, on the bench before the keyboards and
      > over the pedalboard has at his/her disposal a lever-pedal near the
      > center of the panel just forward of his knees. (This pedal is roughly
      > analogous with a gas-pedal on a car. The pivot point however is in the
      > center rather than at the heel.) The pedal is used to control the
      > opening and closing of "swell-shutters" which form the front of the pipe
      > enclosures (pipe chambers) to increase and decrease the volume of sound
      > produced by the pipes which is allowed out into the room. These resemble
      > venetian window blinds. They are slats which are pivoted about a center
      > point and connected by means of a rod (known as a "trace") attached to
      > the leading edge of each in such a way that they open and close together.
      >
      > To actuate this movement and be controllable by the organist we reason
      > that a servo motor would manage quite well. The arm (horn) of the servo
      > would be attached to a linkage which terminates the rod (trace)
      > mentioned above. We have studied and identified a servo (for example the
      > Futaba S3306MG _http://www.servocity.com/html/s3306mg_servo.html_ would
      > seen to fill this purpose.) My intent is to use a small organ we own
      > currently under refurbishing in our shop as a test-bed. In the first
      > incarnation of the design I am thinking a hard-wired version would be
      > most prudent. Later as the concept is more proven a wireless version
      > might emerge.
      >
      > _My questions are as follows:_
      >
      > What controlling components would be appropriate and compatible with
      > this unit?
      >
      > [Referring to Jeremy Blum's Arduino tutorials on YouTube; I can see that
      > a potentiometer of fairly high resolution coupled with an Arduino and
      > accoutrements could manage this probably if the correct marriage of
      > hardware were selected together with the correct and most succinct
      > programming.]
      >
      > We have been studying an "Arduino" type control as the simplest possible
      > solution to this relatively simple problem. I envision a simple
      > potentiometer at the shaft of the pedal connected to an arduino and
      > appropriate accompanying components connected to a power supply in the
> [...]
    • Show all 67 messages in this topic