46380Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Accurate odometry

  • KM6VV
    Jan 2, 2012
      Hi Peter,

      Delphi? Been a while since I heard that name! As I recall it's similar
      to Pascal. I played a little with UCSB Pascal (8" floppy), but after I
      learned C on UNIX, I didn't do much with it. There is a CNC controller
      program with source available, TurboCNC, which causes me to read Pascal
      once and a while, but that's about it. C works for my needs.

      When exactly does DPA switch back and forth from wall following? When
      encountering an obstacle? There must be some sort of comparison between
      target vector strength and obstacle vector strength? Or maybe after the
      target is "in the clear" from the obstacle. That will take a bit more
      thought. Interesting problem!

      Surly there are modules that you can re-use! When I was doing my CNC
      controller program, I already had a text-based GUI (TUI?), and I used it
      for many programs. About all the simulation I ever did was to draw the
      tool path on a grid in the controller program.

      Alan KM6VV

      On 1/2/2012 2:13 AM, Peter Balch wrote:
      > From: KM6VV
      >> Interesting simulation!
      >
      > Please do try your own algorithms.
      >
      > I still don't feel I understand why dpa's version doesn't sideswipe trees
      > while mine does. I don't really believe his PID limits angular acceleration
      > as much I had to.
      >
      > As Randy says, a PID achieves fastest possible closure between target
      > setting and actual output. I'm sure that jBot has a faster angular
      > acceleration than 0.5 rad/sec/sec.
      >
      > Plus, I ought to try dpa's algorithms for switching to/from wall following.
      >
      >> You must have a "simulation engine" or similar to write all your
      >> simulations. C language, I presume?
      >
      > A "simulation engine"? I wish.
      >
      > I write them all from scratch in Delphi. I'm one of those weirdos who
      > believes they can write better, faster, more reliable code, more quickly in
      > Delphi than in C/C++/Java. I've managed to make a few other converts but it
      > does have it's disadvantages to be the only person marching in step. Sigh.
      >
      > It would be nice to have a "simulation engine" but they're all sufficiently
      > different that it's always easier to start again. Yet they're all
      > sufficiently similar that I find myself writing the same code over and over.
      > In the case of Buggy.exe, I ought to have used the nicer
      > compiler/interpreter I have squirrelled away somewhere but I couldn't find
      > it and, once again, wrote one from scratch.
      >
      > Peter

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic