46378Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Accurate odometry

  • Peter Balch
    Jan 2, 2012
      From: KM6VV
      > Interesting simulation!

      Please do try your own algorithms.

      I still don't feel I understand why dpa's version doesn't sideswipe trees
      while mine does. I don't really believe his PID limits angular acceleration
      as much I had to.

      As Randy says, a PID achieves fastest possible closure between target
      setting and actual output. I'm sure that jBot has a faster angular
      acceleration than 0.5 rad/sec/sec.

      Plus, I ought to try dpa's algorithms for switching to/from wall following.

      > You must have a "simulation engine" or similar to write all your
      > simulations. C language, I presume?

      A "simulation engine"? I wish.

      I write them all from scratch in Delphi. I'm one of those weirdos who
      believes they can write better, faster, more reliable code, more quickly in
      Delphi than in C/C++/Java. I've managed to make a few other converts but it
      does have it's disadvantages to be the only person marching in step. Sigh.

      It would be nice to have a "simulation engine" but they're all sufficiently
      different that it's always easier to start again. Yet they're all
      sufficiently similar that I find myself writing the same code over and over.
      In the case of Buggy.exe, I ought to have used the nicer
      compiler/interpreter I have squirrelled away somewhere but I couldn't find
      it and, once again, wrote one from scratch.