45441Re: [SeattleRobotics] Neato wifi

  • Nathan Monson
    Jul 1, 2011
      On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Weston Turner <wstnturner@...> wrote:
      If you are not embedding significant compute power in the robot, why would you want to use a heavyweight TCPIP stack and wifi? Why not use a lightweight wireless protocol like Zigbee or Bluetooth

      Zigbee is too slow, since the XV-11 can generate over 30KB of sensor data per second.  There's a lot more going on than in a Roomba.

      I'd be interested to hear about your experiences using Bluetooth over 100m. Which product did you use?  I've attempted to use Bluetooth in a couple of robots and just can't get the range or reliability needed.  Indoors, it is prone to bursts of lag as the robot moves around, which just sucks with a mobile robot that needs good responses.  I've used USB Bluetooth dongles and standalone UART modules.

      For me, only Wifi has been sufficiently reliable/low-latency/functional-in-homes.  And of course it's not perfect either, but it sure beats Bluetooth!

      Nathan
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic