44766Re: iROBOT Create

  • lukeyes
    Mar 1, 2011
      Hello,

      I have been experimenting with controlling a Roomba via the serial port tethered to my PC. There are a couple good open-source programs out there that demonstrate it and can build a basis. However, I tried to use Microsoft Robotics Studio for both Lego NXT and Roomba and just can't make heads or tails how to do it.

      What programming language are you familiar with? I tend to use Java, and tested the capability of my robot using an open source Java app, but there is also a C# app as well.

      I would recommend just forgoing MRS and write your own program, using the available software as a basis.

      But if you are focused on using MRS, I can experiment with it. Until then, I will try to find the example code for you.

      Luke

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Peter Henry <phenry@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >

      > I just joined the SRS mailing list and I'm looking for help getting started
      > with an iROBOT Create robot. I have been trying to use it in within
      > Microsoft Robotics Development Studio but I got stuck after successfully
      > completing the first tutorial.
      >

      > My goal is to start a robotics club at my high school (I teach math and
      > science at South Lake High School in Seattle), and I thought of using the
      > Create as a platform because it is inexpensive, rugged and expandable.
      > Unfortunately, iROBOT mostly sells vacuum cleaners and has only minimal
      > support for users such as myself (no programming environment, very limited
      > documentation, etc.)
      >

      > I have a background in real-time control programming, believe it or not, but
      > I am not familiar enough with MRDS to make it work with the Create (or
      > Roomba).
      >

      > If you have experience with the iROBOT robots, especially in MRDS, I would
      > really appreciate hearing from you.
      >

      > Thank you.
      >

      > Peter Henry
      >
      > phenry@...