40524RE: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Perspectives on FIRST?

  • Doug Leppard
    Sep 1, 2009

      I used to have a robotics hobby, then I got into FIRST seven years ago and it destroyed my robotic hobby, no personal time for that.  As it was said already it becomes crack for some, it is addictive.

      FIRST is more than robots, kids learn teamwork, how to run a business, fund raising, web design, working through team issues, real world problem solving, PR and much more.

      There is a real family atmosphere as you go to competitions and there is more yelling and screaming than any high school game I have gone to.

      My suggestion if you are just getting started is start with FTC, much more manageable and many issues are the same just smaller.

      If you do an FRC get another team to adopt you, they will want to do that, FIRST encourages them to do so.  Next for us, the secret is the college mentors that have been in FIRST since they were in highs school.  They bring in a lot of experience being involved in FIRST in the past, I am the engineering lead for our team but I turn to our college mentors often on the best way to go.

      So go for it, you will have a run for your life.

      Doug Leppard
      Global ConneXion Director
      Global Technology Office
      Campus Crusade for Christ International