36917RE: [SeattleRobotics] Re: language - neural nets

  • Randy M. Dumse
    Oct 1, 2008
      Matthew Tedder said: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 1:06 AM
      > But win or loose, it is a sad fact that robotics
      > projects in universities typically involve little
      > more than line-following robots.

      I think it is wonderful if we have at least line following
      projects at universities. Many useful motion control and
      robotics points are covered by line following.

      It is one of the low hanging fruit, a fairly simple minimal
      machine configuration that demonstrates a motion based utility.
      At least it is a first step. Better than no step at all.

      Likewise I don't think it is sad that grade eschool doesn't
      teach much more than foundational reading writing 'rithmetic. In
      fact, I wish they would stick more to the fundamentals. (As an
      example, in 4th grade, my step daughter came home talking about
      the rain forrest. We asked her if she remembered when we took
      her to the rain forrest? She said she'd never been. Turns out
      the pictures of rainbows and pretty birds didn't register at all
      in her mind with what she actually saw in the Yucatan penisula.)

      I agree with your zeal for advanced projects, but I object to
      any critic of teaching fundamentals to as wide an audience as
      possible, lowering the entry barrier for someone who might want
      to go further.

      BTW, here's a mind twist for you. Can you write a
      non-line-following program? And just how intelligent would that
      look?

      Randy
    • Show all 53 messages in this topic