35232Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Forth for Robots (from Loki's first steps)

  • Jon Hylands
    Feb 1, 2008
      On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 07:55:32 -0000, "David Wyland" <dcwyland@...>
      wrote:

      > Almost all the other languages use equations: C=A+B. We learned this
      > in algebra and it is the first thing you learn in all the Fortran
      > derivatives, such as C, Basic, Pascal, Python, etc. However, C=A+B
      > implies *named* variables A, B and C. So we *generate* named variables
      > and then have to keep track of them. *All* variables have to have
      > names so you can use them in an equation. The names are an artifact of
      > the use of equations. Equations breed names.

      Smalltalk has the same feature, although it gets this by way of the garbage
      collector rather than a stack, but it definitely gives the same resulting
      boost in productivity - you don't have to name or even maintain references
      to objects that are created in the middle of operations.

      I smile when I watch C programmers work in Smalltalk, because they want to
      hold onto every little object by naming and referencing it.

      Later,
      Jon

      Jon Hylands Jon@... http://www.huv.com/jon

      Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)
      http://www.huv.com/blog
    • Show all 314 messages in this topic