34155Re: [SeattleRobotics] PIC C programming - which compiler should I use?

  • Richard Greenway
    Dec 1, 2007
      It should be noted that the C30 compiler is gnu based. You are paying
      for the various patches and libraries to make it cross compile to the
      Microchip parts.

      If you are using the 16F series. (18F is really the way to go, unless it
      is mass production sort of thing, where every cent counts) The Hi-Tech
      compiler (PICC) does have a 30day trial... (and it wasn't me that said
      that it works after that period by setting your date back.)

      What you are really paying for though, is support. It's very nice when
      you get stuck, you can ask the compiler writers for help in getting your
      code working.

      That being said though... The Hi-Tech 18F(also does 24F and dsPIC
      series) has a few bugs, and in general the Microchip compilers are a bit
      better. Though they have a tinge of C++ in their hardware calling
      conventions. That makes the code generally more self documenting.

      Richard