27928Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Sensing Lasers..

  • Jim McBride
    Jun 2, 2006
      I am not sure if there are any advantages other than their size. Take your
      volt meter and connect it to the leads of an LED. You will find that it
      gives off voltage proportional to the amount of light that you shine on it.
      Beam robots use flashing LEDs. The LEDs will flash at a certain threshold
      voltage. As the cap on the robot slowly builds up voltage the LEDs get
      closer to that threshold voltage. The voltage that is generated due to
      light is added to the caps voltage. In this way when the cap has a
      sufficient charge, the LED with the most light on it will hit that
      threshold voltage first which triggers it. The "neuron" engine is tripped
      by the trigger and the caps power is dumped to the opposite motor, spinning
      it. This will make the robot turn in the direction of the light.
      Are you trying to see the direct light of the laser?

      JIMc
      x22661
      National
      Ignition