18505Re: [SeattleRobotics] A Question

  • V T
    Jun 21, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "raymond melton" <rtmelton@...>
      To: <SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2004 1:25 PM
      Subject: Re: [SeattleRobotics] A Question

      > > The robot(s) must be watched by a web cam
      > > connected to the computer which processes data
      > > and sends commands through a wireless channel
      >
      > This is an absolutely fascinating project! It
      > encompasses robotics at nearly all the higher levels,
      > and clearly finesses a lot of the purely mundane
      > stuff.
      > Please let us know how the project goes. It has
      > practical aplications, and is an attainable goal.
      >
      > Regards, Ray.
      >

      > P.S. On second thought, your project encompasses
      > robotics at ALL the highest levels.

      As I have mentioned already, I am perfectly ignorant in
      Robotics -- so I even do not know what "highest levels"
      means. :-))

      My friend teaches physics and just now he works to acquire
      better knowledge of electronics.

      We realize that there will be many difficulties and do not
      formulate too ambitious goals. We would be content if we
      would be able to make a toy car move from a corner
      of the room to the opposite one as the first stage.

      At the same time the project includes a part which we
      call "virtual robots" -- a set of small s/w applications
      illustrating principles of mechanics and electronics.

      An example: a "robot" car driver. After being taught
      about velocity and acceleration, inertia and friction,
      a student is proposed to write a piece of code
      which would check (imaginary) sensors and
      control the car, taking into the calculations the
      road's cirvature etc.
      Or propose the problem to two or more students --
      and see whose car would come first.

      The main idea is that _I_ must do all the work for
      that program beforehand -- interface, graphics, Win32 API calls--
      and leave to the student only that part of the code
      which relates to the car.

      Regards
      Vladislav
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic