18503Re: [SeattleRobotics] A Question

  • raymond melton
    Jun 21, 2004
      Vlad,

      Would you consider keeping us posted with regards to
      the progress on your current project? Your
      webcam-controlled robot(s) venture is a highly
      imaginative, albeit a potentially challenging,
      project. It's a step or two above what I'm used to
      hearing about. Cheers to you for taking on the idea.

      I would actually like to get involved with such a
      project, though I'm no roboticist. In fact, I'm a
      mathematician. But robotics is what got me into math
      in the first place, and I know my coding. And have
      done some considerable research in the field of
      robotics.

      Take care.
      Regards, Ray.

      P.S. Feel free to shoot me an eletter if you don't
      feel comfortable posting.

      --- V T <vstim@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I am an absolute beginner in Robotics.
      >
      > My friend who is a school teacher invited me to take
      > part
      > in a project for his class. We are going to do it
      > for free,
      > for the school does not have funds for it. :-)
      >
      > His idea is to develop a set of computer programs
      > to control one or several robots' moving on the
      > floor of
      > a room. The robot(s) must be watched by a web cam
      > connected to the computer which processes data
      > and sends commands through a wireless channel
      > (so the robots can have neither sensors nor
      > processors,
      > only servo motors and devices which control them).
      >
      > He thinks that in that way we could create an
      > initial
      > course on robotics with minimal expenses.
      > He thinks that toy cars etc. which have remote
      > controls can be used as such robots (they will
      > need additional work of course).
      >
      > If something will come out of it, next year the
      > school's management may provide some financing.
      >
      > I am a C/C++ programmer with experience in
      > some fields very far from robotics. And my current
      > job has nothing to do with it. But the idea
      > interested
      > me, and I am ready to spend some time on it.
      >
      > May be some of the lists members have worked on
      > something similar. What do you think of the idea ?
      > Can it be done ?
      > We would be very thankfull for any information
      > and/or
      > advice.
      >

      > Regards
      > Vlad