15321RE: [SeattleRobotics] how much time single instruction takes?

  • Kipton Moravec
    Nov 1 11:49 AM
      I am a big 8051 fan, and am starting to switch over to the Atmel AVR also.

      As someone who produces boards for a living, the only downside to the AVR
      is single source.

      I agree with almost everything Larry writes. However there is a slight mistake.

      A register is not an ALU. An ALU is a Arithmetic / Logic Unit. Registers
      are like memory locations. In the Atmel AVR there are 32 registers, and 1 ALU.

      The ALU performs the math functions like add, subtract increment (usually)
      and logic operations like or, and, not. The output of the ALU usually goes
      back to a of the registers. During the calculation, it also updates the
      status register, for the Z, C, N, V, H flags.

      Most of the ALU operations are 1 clock cycle. To save hardware and make
      the chip smaller and cheaper, they made the multiply a 2 clock
      operation. Most cheap microcontrollers do not have a hardware multiply and
      an assembler routine to do it can take 40 to 100 machine cycles. So having
      a hardware multiply is a big advantage even if it takes 2 clocks versus
      doing it in software.

      The advantage of a register, is that it is hard wired to the ALU so two
      registers can be an input and one register can be an output. There is no
      "put the address on the bus, wait for the data lines to get the data, and
      then present it to the ALU". This way it can be done in 1 clock cycle.