14641Re: [SeattleRobotics] Move files between two laptops (W95/W98)?

  • Dennis Clark
    Aug 31, 2003
      All,

      Is the null modem anything more than just the TxD and RxD swapped or
      are there handshake lines used as well? This is useful info though,
      I'll see what works before I try and ad hoc network where I'd need to
      get PCMCIA NICs for each laptop - a bit expensive for this trick I
      think. ;)

      thanks for the information guys!
      DLC

      Alex C wrote:
      > if they both have IR just do an IR transfer of data.. Not exactly fast but
      > you can set it up and go watch a movie or something.. Then take a nap...
      > then cook breakfast and check if it’s done...
      >
      > Either that or if you have two PCMI Nic cards networking is not impossible
      > between 95 and 98 with a crossover cable between them. if all you have to do
      > is share a drive that’s easy in win98 (just make sure your updated to SE)
      > even with 95 as the other, its harder if its not a "fat" file system though
      > as in an NT machine but you don’t have to worry about that in this scenario.
      > Set it up and do all the work from the win 98 machine.. Trying to work from
      > the 95 machine could cause you to grow warts on your nose.
      >
      > or if ya really cant get anything to work just have a friend with a zip100
      > or zip 250 a jazz drive or a portable burner, a USB pen drive or heck a
      > portable hard drive come over and help you transfer the data in about 30
      > min..
      >
      > Alex
      >

      >>From: Dennis Clark <dlc@...
      >>
      >>hey guys,
      >>
      >> My old IBM THinkpad 365X is passing away to be replaced by my old
      >>IBM Thinkpad 600E. the 365 is running W95 and the 600E is running
      >>W98. I'm spoiled by Macs all having ready to run networking and I
      >>know that PC/laptops don't. So is there some way to use the serial
      >>or parallel ports on these things to move data from one laptop to
      >>another? I'd rather not have to move 500MB of robotics and electronics
      >>data by floppy!
      >>
      >>thanks,
      >>DLC
      >>--

      * Dennis Clark dlc@... http://www.techtoystoday.com *
      * "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill *