Re: [SearchCoP] Business Case for Search Applications

  • Louis Rosenfeld
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2007
      Keith (Keipat?):  why not abandon ship?

      Some organizations are figuring it out.  Some aren't, as is perhaps the case with your current employer.  At which type of organization do you want to work?  You should certainly try to move your organization's maturity forward, as I imagine you have.  But at a certain point, methinks you're better off putting yourself in one of those "charmed" worlds rather than staying put in an unappreciative, unenlightened one that likes tho dangle swords over its employees' heads.

      Your experience with taxonomy projects likely means that you'd be in great demand if you considered changing employers.  So why stay where you are?  I'll bet you could find a far more welcoming environment elsewhere.  Perhaps some of the folks on this list are hiring?

      cheers

      On Dec 9, 2007 12:51 AM, Keipat Patkei <keipat1962@...> wrote:

      Wow! Sounds like quite a charmed world some of you
      work in. The sword of abandonning taxonomy projects
      because of the difficulty of proving its worth has
      always, and continues, to loom over my head.

      Keith DeWeese

      --- Louis Rosenfeld <lou@...> wrote:

      > Great analogy, Avi. I tend to take such analogies
      > further (too far,
      > really), but... who questions the ROI of public
      > education these days? Yet
      > at some point in the 19th century, society had to
      > work its way into
      > committing toward funding something that is, in
      > hindsight, so obviously
      > worthwhile.
      >
      > I feel the same way about search and other means of
      > helping people find
      > information. And, fortunately, I find fewer and
      > fewer people questioning
      > its value. Honestly, I can't remember the last time
      > someone asked me the
      > dreaded ROI question. It may be uneven and
      > haphazard, but we're making
      > progress.
      >
      > cheers
      >

      > On Dec 7, 2007 5:13 PM, Avi Rappoport

      > <analyst@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Susan Feldman's written some good stuff (good,
      > as in, showing how much
      > > enterprise needs search). However, in
      > conversation with other analysts and
      > > consultants, we tend to chuckle ruefully about the
      > whole topic. It's
      > > infrastructure. How would you make a business case
      > for email these days?
      > >
      > > Avi
      > >

      > --
      > Louis Rosenfeld :: http://louisrosenfeld.com