Reminder: ISKO UK Biennial Conference 8/9 July. Early Bird discount ends this month

  • Bob Bater
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25 2:29 PM
      Dear Colleagues,

      If you have not already registered for our July conference, please note
      that early bird rates apply until the end of April. You'll find more
      details in the original notification message below issued in March.
      Alternatively just go straight to
      http://www.iskouk.org/conf2013/programme.htm and choose the
      "Registration" button to register.

      I look forward to seeing you in July!

      Bob Bater
      ISKO UK

      Dear Colleagues,

      Registration has now opened for our ISKO UK BIENNIAL CONFERENCE – 8/9
      July 2013, London.

      The theme is: *Knowledge Organization - Pushing the Boundaries*

      Knowledge Organization (KO) is not just a fascinating research domain to
      attract our foremost thinkers; it also presents practical challenges to
      each of us as individuals, sorting out the files on our desktops
      physical and virtual, searching for inspiration via the Internet, or
      participating in the fora of social media. But there’s a paradox: while
      KO practices permeate society, the name “Knowledge Organization” is
      known only to a few. Invisible boundaries separate KO researchers from
      the practitioners who could benefit from their findings, and also come
      between distinct fields of application such as records management, web
      design, librarianship, information retrieval, etc.

      This conference aims to explore such boundaries, challenge them and
      advance our thinking into new territory. It will be the third biennial
      conference of the UK Chapter of ISKO. Practitioners as well as
      theoreticians are invited to attend and participate, along with
      consultants, researchers, teachers and students. There will be a mix of
      short and longer presentations, as well as a display of posters. The
      papers submitted will be peer-reviewed and published electronically on
      this website, together with slides and audio recordings.

      On our website at <http://www.iskouk.org/conf2013/index.htm> you can
      find more details, including a provisional programme. 33 Presentations
      are scheduled, including keynote addresses from leading lights Patrick
      Lambe and Martin White. Two of the sessions will be co-organized by our
      sister associations, UKeiG and LIRG respectively. We're expecting a good
      number of posters too, and will be encouraging the vendors of relevant
      software applications, products and services to support the conference
      by exhibiting their wares.

      Registration fees for the two-day event are still the same as for our
      2011 conference, just

      180 pounds (full price)
      150 pounds (ISKO members)
      150 pounds (early-bird rate, until 30 April)
      130 pounds (early-bird rate for ISKO members)

      Members of UKeiG and/or LIRG will be entitled to the same rates as ISKO
      members.

      Still hesitating? Take a look at the electronic proceedings of our first
      and second biennial conferences at
      http://www.iskouk.org/conf2009/proceedings.htm and
      http://www.iskouk.org/conf2011/programme.htm respectively. The 2013
      event will be bigger and better than either of these, and we hope you
      will be able to come and enjoy it.

      Bob Bater
      ISKO UK

      Conference hashtag #ISKOUK2013