Re: [SearchCoP] Search Patterns by Morville & Callender

  • Walter Underwood
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23 1:49 PM
      It is complementary to Marti Hearst's book: http://searchuserinterfaces.com/

      Marti's book approaches the UI from the research foundations up, Peter's book from the screen down. Peter's book is better for people who are strongly visually-oriented, but I think it is best to have both books. There is very little published on the subject, so those two books are a pretty complete library.

      wunder

      On Mar 19, 2011, at 9:48 PM, Matt Moore wrote:

      Hello,

      Has anyone read this book? http://searchpatterns.org/

      If so, what was your take on it?

      I thought the introductory framework around the search experience was very
      useful.
      The patterns section is good but a bit messy.
      The final scenarios are interesting (and the satire on Berners-Lee's semantic
      web is quite funny).

      It's an interesting resource for tackling search-related issues but it doesn't
      tell you how to,say, implement enterprise search.

      Over to you?

      Matt

      --
      Walter Underwood
      Venture ASM, Troop 14, Palo Alto

    • Matt Moore
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23 5:58 PM
        Thanks Walter.

        I have had some mixed responses off-list about the Morville book. I think a total search head would find it woefully shallow. But for those working in information management, IA or web design; I think it presents some common issues in a very accessible way.

        I also like the effort put into producing a visually appealing book.

        I will browse the Hearst book online when I get a moment...